VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,
    I'd would like to know what is the best way is to deinterlace this video. I use avisynth and megui. when analyzed with megui the weird interlaced problem still cannot solve. yadif also wouldn't work. how to get rid the problem? what suitable filter should I use?

here the example
    http://www.mediafire.com/?qc2bvmdtw739mka

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCANDAL%2520-%2520Koi%2520Moyou1.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	13842

Name:	SCANDAL%2520-%2520Koi%2520Moyou2.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	13843
    Last edited by daamxlaws; 10th Sep 2012 at 00:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sample images aren't going to help, especially when they have been resized.

You might want to post a sample of the video. It doesn't need to be long. 10 seconds is good enough.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Like most new users you seem to think that the less you say the better but actually if you really and truly want help, provide more details about the source and what exactly you are trying to accomplish. If you really have interlaced footage to deal with I do want to put out that resizing it can be tricky and often leads to less than optimal results, should resizing be part of your goal.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by daamxlaws View Post
    I'd would like to know what is the best way is to deinterlace this video.
    It looks to me like it's already been deinterlaced - poorly. As FulciLives suggested, we'd like to see a short sample.
    Quote Quote  
  5. assuming video is from http://vimeo.com/26899204 or a similar source, some AA (i.e. using a based EEDI2) might help,...
    Quote Quote  
  6. here the video. im not edit anything yet.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?qc2bvmdtw739mka

Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    assuming video is from http://vimeo.com/26899204 or a similar source, some AA (i.e. using a based EEDI2) might help,...
    can give example for the script?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Here are some AA examples: http://pastebin.com/Y42s9hRZ
    Problem is, that the source seems to be interlaced 1080i AVC content, which most avisynth input filters can't handle properly,..
    Quote Quote  
  8. That video is 1080i but it was made from a poorly deinterlaced (simple bob) standard definition video. It's also gone through a frame rate conversion with field blending. And then there's the crushed lights and darks. What a mess.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Sep 2012 at 07:24.
    Quote Quote  
  9. So, this video can't be fixed? or very difficult to fix.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It will require more patience than I have. And the damage is probably far too extensive to get a very good result.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Sep 2012 at 12:28.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You won't be able to "fix" it , but you can improve it a bit

There are many things to address, but regarding the aliasing you can use qtgmc in progressive mode (inputtype=1 or 2) to improve it . Coarse aliasing, like the closeup later of guitar strings won't be improved much, or the filters required will be too damaging to be worth it. Finer aliasing like small cords, window edges, should be improved

This is a sd upscale, so some filters like AA filters won't work well until you downscale back to SD .

The blends are very bad, I don't know how to improve them. Maybe someone else does . I used srestore in this example after qtgmc (normal bobbing), but there are still many blends. Maybe try some exotic deblend functions like restorefps

You can adjust the levels (elevated black level) and other problems as you see fit

You might have to apply different AA filters to different sections and experiment with some filters . Like jagabo said it' s a mess. This would be a lot of work to fix it up properly, and you still wouldn't get good results. The source is just that bad. You will need manual masking/ rotowork as to not damage other sections

Name:	yadif.png
Views:	204
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	13854

Name:	qtgmc.png
Views:	995
Size:	519.1 KB
ID:	13853
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 10th Sep 2012 at 12:44.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I played with it for about an hour before the two of you left your impressions, discovered the same things as the two of you did, and then threw my hands up in disgust. It doesn't IVTC properly, doesn't unblend properly, and some of the aliasing is horrific. After that I just said 'screw it'.
    Quote Quote  
  13. regarding the blends, it might be possible to get better results by using sRestore,.. needs probably a lot of try&error
    All in all I wouldn't make an effort to fix this,... unless I had really too much time on my hand a nagging desire to learn avisynth,....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    anyone take a look at it interlaced?

Name:	vlcsnap-00018.png
Views:	258
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	13856
    i see at least 3 frames blended in the original. might have been mbaff or paff that was badly handled. too late now to fix.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You won't be able to "fix" it , but you can improve it a bit

There are many things to address, but regarding the aliasing you can use qtgmc in progressive mode (inputtype=1 or 2) to improve it . Coarse aliasing, like the closeup later of guitar strings won't be improved much, or the filters required will be too damaging to be worth it. Finer aliasing like small cords, window edges, should be improved

This is a sd upscale, so some filters like AA filters won't work well until you downscale back to SD .

The blends are very bad, I don't know how to improve them. Maybe someone else does . I used srestore in this example after qtgmc (normal bobbing), but there are still many blends. Maybe try some exotic deblend functions like restorefps

You can adjust the levels (elevated black level) and other problems as you see fit

You might have to apply different AA filters to different sections and experiment with some filters . Like jagabo said it' s a mess. This would be a lot of work to fix it up properly, and you still wouldn't get good results. The source is just that bad. You will need manual masking/ rotowork as to not damage other sections

[Attachment 13853 - Click to enlarge]
    wow this look better than before. what filter you use? share the script
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by daamxlaws View Post

wow this look better than before. what filter you use? share the script
    Only on that section. Other parts are not improved much (like the guitar strings). And there are still lots of blends and other problems like levels you have to fix

AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC(Preset="faster")
    BicubicResize(848,480)
    SRestore(29.97)
    AssumeFPS(30000,1001)
    QTGMC(InputType=1)

You might get better in those other sections results stacking other AA filters

The blends are a real problem, because the temporal filters actually may make the picture worse in some sections (temporoal filters derive information from adjacent frames, if those frames are not fixed before, it "spreads" the blending)
    Quote Quote