VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I've been searching the internet for a solution to this problem, but have been unable to come across any straight forward answers, so I figured I'd ask some experts myself.

I'm trying to use the Hauppauge Colossus Capture card to display multiple gaming systems (PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, GameCube) on my screen. I'm hoping to be able to stream them on Livestream Procaster from there. I've been trying to use WinTV 7 and xsplit, but neither programs are displaying any images, saying there aren't any signals. This is leading me to believe that there is something wrong with the settings of the card, or the card itself.

Here's a dxdiag report, it might help.

http://tinyurl.com/cvnvbcy

I'm using a duel-monitor set-up, one being an Asus computer monitor, and another being a westinhouse TV for the game consoles.

There was a point in time shortly after getting the card that I was able to play my ps2 in real time off of my TV using the pass-through on the card, capture it for display on my main monitor, and able to stream it by displaying ArcSoft ShowBiz's capture preview on my main monitor and then using Livestream Procasters screen-capture to stream that. (Procaster was not able to pick up a picture from wintv 7 - it only showed a black screen on the stream. I suspect that is due to programming designed to enforce copyright, or something along those lines. It's not important though.) I was only able to do this once though, and that was over a month ago now. I'm not sure what I did right then that I'm not doing right now, but I'm pretty sure I didn't touch any of the settings since then. Of course, for troubleshooting's sake, I'll say it's a possibility that they did change.

So far I've tested the PS3 through HDMI, setting wintv to HDMI (4) channel - nothing. The PS2 is hooked up with both RCA video and S-Video, but neither of those are working either. The card is simply not picking up any of them.

I understand encryption might be a problem for the HDMI from the PS3, but I haven't seen a work-around for that.

I've had this card collecting dust for a while now because I was unable to use it, but I figured now's a time to get my money's worth. I've put off fixing it too long now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The first step in troubleshooting is to connect something (PS3 or PS2) directly to the card and try to get a signal from it. After you get a signal, then worry about your convoluted setup.

Are you or are you not using ArcSoft's ShowBiz that comes with your card on the driver disc? I assume not. I recommend that you install it. The interface to ShowBiz is a lot easier to deal with than WinTV's interface. As far as I know the card can capture HDMI output from the PS3, but I am not a gamer and have no way to test this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The PS3 always applies HDCP to HDMI output. According to Hauppauge, if you try to view or record HDCP protected HDMI, you will get a black screen. Since the Colossus won't work with HDMI if HDCP protection is applied, Hauppauge recommends using component video connections for a PS3. I would suggest using a component video cable with the PS2 as well. Hauppauge's quick start guide seems to indicate that the card's component output only works as a pass-through with component video input.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @jman98 - I said I was using ArcSoft's ShowBiz capture, do you mean the version from the CD as opposed to a downloaded version? Because I was using the one that came with the CD, and no, it doesn't make a bit of difference.

@usually_quiet - Ok, so I understand that I have to use component with the PS3, but I should still be able to get a signal from the ps2 with a composite*/s-video cable hooked up. I'm still getting nothing from both wintv and arcsoft showbiz, which makes me think that the ps3 won't be any different since it's all going into the same port.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You did indeed, but you referenced a time in the past, so it wasn't clear to me that you were still trying to use it.

Composite is VERY tricky with this card. You have to read the docs very carefully because you are only allowed to use one specific input for composite out if the component inputs. I ended up buying a component to composite converter that I use with the card because it just made my life easier to just deal with component video for everything with it.

Unfortunately you may also need to reinstall your drivers. I've had the stupid thing just lose its mind where it won't see any video any more and the only solution I ever found that works was to reinstall everything. I did notice that if I deleted a file outside of ShowBiz that was still listed in the ShowBiz capture section that it seemed to be a very negative thing for making ShowBiz work correctly. Delete from ShowBiz first and then delete the file outside of ShowBiz.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, I'm not worried about file-saving with ShowBiz, since I'm going to be streaming directly from the capture screen anyway. Could you clarify on what you mean by "composite is very tricky"? "you are only allowed to use one specific input for composite out if the component inputs" - this sentence didn't make sense to me.

If I can get my PS2 going on this card, then i'm sure I'd be able to hook up my PS3 through the same port. I just want to make sure it's not a problem with the card itself and I don't have to go out and buy myself a new one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The capture devices I have seen that are marketed for live streaming video games output uncompressed video, which is encoded using software. The Colossus uses hardware encoding, and outputs H.264 video and either AAC or AC3 audio. That's great for capture, but apparently not so good for live streaming.

Based on what I could find out about it via Google, screen capturing from Colossus using XSpilt is about the only streaming method that works with the Colossus, but it is unreliable. If your primary reason for using a capture device is to stream live rather than capture, you would probably be better off with something other than the Hauppauge Colossus.
    Quote Quote  
  8. uh-huh... guess I'm better off with a different card then. Any recommendations? I'll do my own research on this as well...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rizz1337 View Post
    uh-huh... guess I'm better off with a different card then. Any recommendations? I'll do my own research on this as well...
    Hmm ... if you decide to not use it anymore ... are you interested in selling it ... Ebay buyers would love to buy it from you ... but only if it actually works ... I have the ... Hauppauge HD-PVR ... works just fine.

FYI ... in my living room ... I have a Pioneer VSX 1015 Receiver ... it will convert ... composite ... S-VHS ... video inputs to Component Video and then I feed that to my SONY 50""

I kind of wonder ... would it like the feed from my Pioneer 1015 ... I use one of those boxes that creates multiple outputs of my component video coming from my Pioneer receiver ... it is not a passive unit.

My step grandson ... connects his XBOX to the front inputs on the Pioneer receiver ... simple composite and left and right stereo and the Pioneer Receiver does a fine job of displaying his games on the Sony 50".
    Last edited by lacywest; 5th Sep 2012 at 18:21.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rizz1337 View Post
    uh-huh... guess I'm better off with a different card then. Any recommendations? I'll do my own research on this as well...
    Under different circumstances, I would suggest that you look at the AVerMedia Game Broadcaster HD and the
    AVerMedia Live Gamer HD,since they are promoted by the manufacturer for streaming, but their specifications don't list 480i video (many PS2 games are 480i) only 480p60 and above.

Both the AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR and StarTech PCI Express HD Video Capture Card (PEXHDCAP) list 480i as one of the formats they support, so I would suggest that you investigate them instead to see if they can be used for streaming. Both can capture component video input. However, since neither has an audio/video pass-though, you will need a powered HDMI splitter for HDMI capture, and a powered component video splitter for component video capture.
    http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ST123HDA-Component-Splitter-Digital/dp/B000NK75HI/r...qid=1346903188
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=...seq=1&format=2

The AVerTV HD DVR is rather well known but the StarTech PEXHDCAP is relatively new. Here is a review that might interest you: http://www.videogameperfection.com/av-gear/startech-pexhdcap-hdmirgbvgacomponent-captu...e-card-review/

[Edit]I looked at the supported capture hardware list for Livestream Procaster this morning. The BlackMagic Intensity Pro is recommended and certified by Livestream Procaster. That is probably your best choice if you want to use Livestream Procaster.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Sep 2012 at 09:21.
    Quote Quote