VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello, I am new to video streaming. I am wanting to transfer my large Sd dvd collection to my hard drive and then stream it to my dlna blu ray players.

My question is should I just use the vob's off the dvd disc itself or take the time to convert them all into mp4 or some other format? Using the vobs will keep the original quality but will also put each dvd around 5gb.

I am thinking I could go lower in file size if I convert, but that would take alot more time converting all those dvd's.

What would you guys recommend?

I purchased a 2 bay Nas, and could only afford one WD 2tb red drive so far.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd wait until i can get the second drive and put the unit in raid 1. full backup. otherwise all your video will be lost if the drive crashes. if you convert to mkv/mp4 the movies will be about half the size with almost the same quality. does it really matter how long it takes? you have most likely seen them all anyway.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Ok thanks. Right now I am using my desktop to stream video via Serviio server. Corei7, 12gb ram.

When I stream the vob filr which is 4gb it streams fine, but when I convert to mp4 or mkv it does not??

The size of the converted mp4 and mkv are just under 2gb. The stream is a little jumpy.

Why is this??/

I am using FreeMake Video Converter.
    Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote