VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a JVC Everio camcorder that I use to capture video clips of the kiddos. Everytime my 4Gb flash card fills up, I copy the video clips onto my PC and create a DVD to send off to the family. The problem is that often I record lots and lots of small 10 second or less clips, and if the number of videos exceeds 99, then I have to use a 2nd disc to burn all of them, even though the first disc is not even halfway filled up. The JVC Everio Mediabrowser software that came with my camcorder treats each video clip as a title. It does, however allow me to join video clips, thus providing a workaround to this problem, but it is very time consuming to join/merge my video files, because I don't want them to all just play as one long movie, and if I combine more than 21 at a time, the chapter information for each clip is lost. I was hoping that someone could suggest some type of batch processing program that would make getting all of my 200+ small video clips onto a DVD an easier task. Ideally, the software would merge files that were recorded on the same day. Then I'd just be left with 30-60 merged video files that I could easily burn to a disc in just a few clicks. Does such a program exist? FYI, The output file type is .mod.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try joining them with something like mpg2cut2
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes. THEN, author them with CHAPTERS and access them via PLAYLISTS.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. You could try to use DVD slideshow GUI. Make sure to check if your files have the same frame rate(with Mediainfo) as the DSG project (25 or 29.97 fps)

In the import select all files "." and try to import that format (.mod?). Dunno if DSG(ffmpegsource2) will be able to import it though... maybe you'll have to change the extention from .mod to .mpg.

Then export to DVD menus (Gui for DVDauthor must be installed). After exporting the files GFD should open with a file structure of all clips in one long slideshow and chapter menus with max. 99 chapterpoints(they will be spread over the slideshow if there are more than 99 slides). Those two elements can be deleted if you dont want them.

The last part is all the videoclips with < O > buttons so you can flip through each video clip like a PowerPoint presentation and there is no 99 title limitation here.

Watch the last part of this video(instead of images from a powerpoint can have video clips):
    http://blip.tv/dvdslideshowgui/ppt2dvd-powerpoint-to-dvd-with-dvd-slideshow-gui-3127426
    Last edited by tin2tin; 28th Aug 2012 at 10:26.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for trying to help, but I'm sorry to say that Mpg2cut2 doesn't really simplify the joining process anymore than the Everio Mediabrowser software that came with my camcorder. Also, the DVD Slideshow GUI program choked on the .mod files. This seems like such a common problem that lots of people would have, however I don't see an easy solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's not really a problem at all. if you had a decent editing program you could put the clips you want to join on the timeline where you want them and then do a smart render that doesn't re-encode the whole thing just the joins. quick and easy.

something like vegas movie studio would work.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. You're looking for a program that will do all the work for you while still being flexible enough to group clips, there is nothing like that. Video editing is a time consuming thing you do for pleasure.

At best you could make a batch file to group clips by date into separate folders, but you'd still need to join them and author a DVD.

If you want the easiest least amount of work solution, convert your MOD files to AVI's or MKV (XVID, DivX or H264, choose according to resolution and playback capability) and just burn them all to data mode DVD, then have your relatives buy a DVD/Bluray player capable of playing that format.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you try to rename the .mod files to .mpg? Apparently they are just .mpg files. By renaming them most programs should be able to open them. Tested yesterday to import several videos that way in dsg and exporting them without problems. Could you upload a mod file at wetransfer for testing?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone, but I think nic2k4 had it right when he said "You're looking for a program that will do all the work for you while still being flexible enough to group clips, there is nothing like that." I've decided to just give up and continue using the program that came with the camcorder. I appreciate everyone taking the time to try and help me out though!
    Quote Quote  
  10. If dsg can open the mod files renamed to mpg then your clips can be grouped on a dvd with menus this way: http://blip.tv/dvdslideshowgui/tutorial-slideshow-compilation-on-dvd-6288841

There are many free batch renaming apps out there.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After installing a free trial of Corel DVD Movie Factory, I realized that aedipuss was right. Having a program where I can easily join clips in the timeline solves the problem. There's just one piece of the puzzle missing now. Is there any program where I can view the recording time and date on the timeline? This is the information I would use to know how to join the clips. Just viewing a thumbnail requires too much time to view each of the 200+ clips to know if it should be included in each join operation. Thanks everyone for your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Not on the timeline but DVD Movie Factory can give you the properties when you import it, just click on a file and hover the cursor over the thumbnail. If the hover doesn't work then right-click and select Properties.
    Quote Quote