VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to capture my VHS videos and convert to DV. I have done it in the past, using my VHS VCR and Canonon Legria with relatively good results.

I have read that the best is to use a Super VHS VCR for playback, although the videos are not Super VHS.

I have advertised and can get this one for next to nothing, but I'm not sure if this is a Super VHS machine:

"a LG TALKING VCR, 6 HD, hi-fi Nicam , looks like the model is a GC990EW. Has NTSC playback"

After Googling it, I am not much wiser.

Any advice please
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no there is no s-vhs marking on that vcr.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The rule of thumb I would go by is this:
    Use a S-VHS vcr when you have an S-VHS recording, or when you have an otherwise ALL S-video capture chain (as the S-video electronics should be better on an S-VHS deck than a standard VHS deck). Or if the headgap (or TBC, comb filter) specs are so much better for your particular tape than other vcr alternatives.
    If you just have a regular VHS tape, and only go out via composite video (to WHATEVER capture, DV, Analog, etc), then you aren't getting any benefit.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Or if the headgap (or TBC, comb filter) specs are so much better for your particular tape than other vcr alternatives.
    And this is why S-VHS VCRs are more suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My situation is as follows-

I have yellow and white RC connection points at the back of my VCR. No composite connection.

If you just have a regular VHS tape, and only go out via composite video (to WHATEVER capture, DV, Analog, etc), then you aren't getting any benefit.
    So, if I understand correctly, I will get a benefit when using S-VHS, which will have a composite connection. Is this right?

Just another question- is it worth my while to try to get a S-VHS; in other words, is the quality really better? But I must say, these tapes are very valuable, so any bit of quality in the image gained, will be worthwhile
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have yellow and white RC connection points at the back of my VCR. No composite connection.
    yellow rc connection is in fact composite white is sound and it goes in audio card or audio in tv card.

All Svhs units have svideo out where vhs machines have only composite ( like in your case ) so svideo is better connection all along then composite http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/157

also svhs units have in general better transport mechanism and have extra processing ( tbc noise reduction and so on ) which will make better and stable picture even from old vhs tape.

So generally speaking find svhs unit for your valuable tapes
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Can your capture method use an S-video input? If not then you won't gain anything from an S-VHS machine. Please note that S-video connections are not the same thing as the S-VHS tape format.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Can your capture method use an S-video input? If not then you won't gain anything from an S-VHS machine. Please note that S-video connections are not the same thing as the S-VHS tape format.
    i don't know any tv card or dvd recorder that doesn't have svideo ( which of course is not the same as svhs tape format) input
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah keep in mind, the SVHS decks (at least, the suggested ones) aren't valuable just for the improved connection, but more importantly for the other features of the VCR. How much value those features will be to you will depend on your tapes, but buy one for the potential of those features, not for the connector itself.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I capture via my Canon Legria HV40
    Quote Quote