VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What tablet do you have?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a galaxy tab 2 with a CyanogenMod 10 installed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't have one. (That is assuming you're talking about the electronic devices and not what you'd find in the medicine cabinet.)
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    none. i'm a keyboard and mouse person. can't stand tablets/touchscreens, even my phones have slide out keyboards.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    velocity cruz t301.

Adequate.

If I'm really determined I'll upgrade to a full fledged arm processor android tablet so I can do more. With a mips processor you're really crippled on what you can run. But I can surf and do standard def h264 on it. Oh and kindle too. So all in all for 50.00 refurbed its not a bad little unit.

Next time I'll know what to look for even more.

Though it will have to have sd card slots like this does. I couldn't stand being constrained on storage space.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. WiiPad Slim 800mhz ARM processor. Haven't used it in a while, but keep it by the bedside to surf the net and do some reading when the voices in my skull won't let me get any sleep at 3am.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why is there no vote for "none" LOL

I actually wouldn't mind having one but if I got one I would want a "nice" one and they aren't cheap and I'm broke.

The Google Nexus 7 is tempting as it seems very nice for the price but I'd rather have a 10.1" model.

My mother has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" and it's nice but can be a bit slow and can't handle 1080p and not even most 720p video (it chokes on 'high' bitrates).

I just don't think the tech is good enough right now for the price *shrugs*

I'll be more tempted once they are all 1080p and can handle H.264 @ L4.1 video but even then I wouldn't spend more than $400 US Dollars.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Pandigital Supernova. Works great & I got it packed with all the apps I want, no slowdown & didn't even have to jailbreak/mod/root it. 8" screen. Only ~$139.

I still want to do most things w keyb+mouse but I'm typing this on my tablet...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. New iPad... Read videohelp on it and the ny times :P
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    Why is there no vote for "none" LOL.
    If i put in a vote for none the poll would read about 95 none and 5 owned.This poll is to see what brands people chose.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. Crap...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how about adding smartphones? I own a Samsung Galaxy II.....when I first got it I felt like I was carrying a pocket calculator around in my pocket! LOL! I'm voting for "Other" since I use my SGII to surf da net when I'm out and about.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Transformer with a keyboard module.
    Quote Quote  
  13. We used to have a Vadem Clio. It was a good concept. It was used as a wireless web browser around the house. The display died after a few years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vadem_Clio

Mostly what we learned is we don't need a tablet.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't have one.
    May the force be with you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow. Surprisingly few votes for the Asus Transformer, considering the number of people I know IRL who have one (myself included)... I haven't gotten the keyboard attachment for it, but that's mostly just because as I see it, I already have a perfectly good laptop if I need to do any mobile computing that involves typing a lot of text. The only thing that annoys me about it is the inability to mount it as a regular drive letter when plugged in to the PC; it will only mount as an MTP device, which makes it a pain in the butt to get files on and off of its internal memory or the microSD card.

However, installing an FTP client from the Android store took care of that problem; now I can just FTP to it from my desktop and sync files that way. (The "Asus Sync" applications are a bit too cloud-oriented for my tastes. I don't want my files floating around somewhere in "the cloud"; I want them to be physically present in my tablet's actual, physical microSD card, and physically present on my desktop PC's actual, physical hard drive.)

I also, admittedly, have one of those 7" Coby things, though I'm not sure if I should admit that too loudly. I bought it out of curiosity, a few months before I got the Asus; the Coby was on a loss-leader sale and I figured a $79 tablet would be a good way to get my feet wet and see if I'd actually even use a tablet for anything, or whether it would just become another toy gathering dust on the shelf. I do occasionally use it still; while it can't do nearly as much as the Asus, of course, it is a little easier to carry around on shopping trips and such, and it doesn't take a ten-inch screen with a Tegra graphics processor and a 10" screen to handle a shopping list, a notepad, and a few simple databases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by solarfox
    it is a little easier to carry around on shopping trips and such, and it doesn't take a ten-inch screen with a Tegra graphics processor and a 10" screen to handle a shopping list, a notepad, and a few simple databases
    I'm sorry I'm all for the latest tech gadget but can't you just use a sheet of paper for a shopping list???????

I guess each to his/her own and all that but wow....... (no offense to you solarfox I'm just surprised somebody would use a tablet for a shopping list, unless you are talking about something more than say 20 or items or something, but then just use another sheet of paper.....)

Edit - come to think of it - are you using this for comparison shopping? Instead of taking competitors ads are you using it to check the specs and pricing? I can understand that. I just can't understand it for a simple list like milk, eggs, bread, etc.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you have a large family with lots of "special needs/requests", one of those shopping list apps can truly help. I know. Never thought I'd admit it, but with features like cross-off sorting, quantities, cost pre-calc, etc., those are VERY helpful.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    If you have a large family with lots of "special needs/requests", one of those shopping list apps can truly help. I know. Never thought I'd admit it, but with features like cross-off sorting, quantities, cost pre-calc, etc., those are VERY helpful.

Scott
    I guess shopping for one does have its advantages.

Although I do admit holiday shopping can get nutty enough where your best plans go out the window even if your organized.....
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    Why is there no vote for "none" LOL
    YEAH!!!!

I almost chose "other" as I do have a laptop I use rarely, and I mean RARELY!!

But then I thought, nah, there should be a "none" option so I did not vote.
    Then I saw your comment!!
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Toshiba Thrive. Paid ~$200 US, full size SD slot, USB port and HDMI port. Don't know if it's a good or bad deal, nothing to compare it to. I like it though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy
    Don't know if it's a good or bad deal, nothing to compare it to. I like it though.
    Not bad. Since it has an hdmi out does it play hd video then I assume?

Does your native video player handle subtitles?

That is one pet peeve of my tablet. The stock video player doesn't seem to do subtitles. So that means even if I have an sd video it can play natively I have to hardsub it which means a reencode. But I can't complain too much as I didn't do all of the research that I should have done. Also I did buy it as a refurbed model for only 50.00 so I'm not out a lot and it still does ebooks through kindle and stuff so its not a total loss.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might need to either merge the subtitles or have them separate or select the subs through the player menu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JOHNS0
    need to either merge the subtitles
    Merge? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Originally Posted by johns0
    have them separate
    I haven't tried that. So basically extract the subs then have them in the same directory as the video it came from?

Originally Posted by johns0
    select the subs through the player menu.
    Unfortunately this tablet doesn't seem to have a player menu. The settings button that is used for most menu action items doesn't do anything while playing a video. All you have is play or forward and reverse with a play time seeker bar. There might be some trick to accessing a hidden menu I haven't figured out yet. The documentation was pretty sparse on the video aspects of this tablet. Though another browse through wouldn't hurt.

THanks.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mkvmerge=mkv+srt for merged files.Ya,have the video and srt in the same folder with the same name for each,video.mkv video.srt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not bad. Since it has an hdmi out does it play hd video then I assume?

Does your native video player handle subtitles?
    Yes on the HD, I didn't like the built in player and installed BS Player which does appear to handle subs.
    Quote Quote