VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I went to Staples the other day and saw this "steal" on BD-R discs.

I'm aware of the "coaster producing" quality that Memorex applies to their DVD-R discs, but has anyone had experience with their BD-Rs?

Will I experience the same level of craftsmanship that I had encountered with their DVD-Rs, or have they improved?

Thoughts?

(stick with Verbatim?)
    Quote Quote  
  2. They're probably Ritek or CMC. The media lists show 3 Memorex BDRs, two of which are Riteks, but the list is not very current and suppliers can be changed without notice. Those two (Ritek, CMC) have the bulk of the low-end market, and one would expect Memorex to be true to form for sourcing BDRs, as for DVDRs.

That said, I've used well over one hundred of each with no coasters, burned on my LG burner. Yeah, I can hardly believe it myself. These are Blu-Ray movie backups, and I don't particularly care if they're not 100% reliable; I can just re-do them. (3 HDTVs and 3 BD players, so I do need the backups). But they have been reliable.

I've read here and there about people having pretty good success with these discs, and one common factor may be having an LG burner. Or maybe not, since LG has a goodly chunk of that market. Maybe just coincidence, I dunno.

$3 bucks apiece isn't such a great deal, you can get spindles of 25 from Newegg or Meritline for about $1 buck per disc. That's RiData (Ritek) or Philips (often CMC), or Titan (CMC). If you watch for specials.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have not yet found any BD media made anywhere but Japan, even the Ritek and CMC stuff. Due to a horrible lack of checking on my part I bought some TDK ink jet printable BD-Rs from Japan (these are actually sold in Japan) and I was horrified to find that they were made by Ritek given their awful reputation. They worked fine for me, but I'm not going to buy them again. I'm currently happy with Verbatim LTH BD-R discs which someone here (I think it was noahtuck but I'm not sure) recommended. Those are fine discs. If you happen to have a Micro Center near where you live they were selling 25 packs of Verbatim LTH BD-R discs for about $15 a few days ago. They aren't printable but they are good discs.

Right now it seems that BD media may be like CD media and there's not too much difference no matter who makes it, but if BD media begins to be manufactured outside of Japan, I expect that to change rather quickly.

Finally, I will say that I bought one Sony BD-RE (re-writable) disc and my BluRay player hates it. From now on I will only buy Verbatim BD-RE discs, which my player loves.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just found a 3 pack of verbatim dual layer 50 GB BD-R's on amazon for $28. Not terribly priced. Sold.
    Quote Quote