VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I don't know how many of you can even help me but here goes.

So I have the HD-PVR, it has done well thus far, but I wanted it to record old game footage like SNES, N64 and so on. Then I found out the reason it didn't work on the HD-PVR is because of the signal. Apparently the HD-PVR only receives modern signals that the older consoles aren't compatible with.

So I found out if I use a DVD Recorder, it'll "modernize" the frequency allowing me to record those games on an HD-PVR. However there was one MAJOR problem.

It lags. It has a 0.5 second lag which is crucial. Maybe you guys can explain to me how it works. I'll explain the setup:

The Genesis is plugged to the back of the DVR with composite cables
    The DVR is plugged to the HD-PVR with S-Video
    And the HD-PVR is plugged to the TV with Component

Now I guess by going through all those signals, a lag is created. Whereas if I just use a next gen system like a Wii, I plug the component in the back of the HD-PVR and it goes straight to the TV.

My question is if it is possible to play with older console games on the HD-PVR WITHOUT lag?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could use a composite distribution amplifier/splitter to provide separate signals for the HD-PVR* and a TV.

Hera are examples
    http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-Video-Distribution-Amplifier-Splitter/dp/B003CMDGJK/...5297466&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Distribution-Amplifier-Splitter-Composite-Uninex/dp/B005N0CRT4/r...5297813&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/AV-400-Composite-Distribution-Amplifiers/dp/B000BLJE8W/ref=sr_1_...5297857&sr=1-1

* connections are game console to amp/splitter to DVD recorder to HD-PVR, plus amp/splitter to TV
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Aug 2012 at 13:19.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgive my ignorance but if I buy one of those, how is it going to work exactly?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BladeBlur View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but if I buy one of those, how is it going to work exactly?
    To avoid lag (originating from the DVD recorder I'd guess), you need to split the composite video and stereo audio signals from your game console somewhere else instead of using the HD-PVR's component pass through. You need an amplified splitter to maintain signal strength, since passive splitters cut the signal strength by half. The only problem would be if your TV can't display composite signals from the game console.

If you want to find out if the DVD recorder causes lagging, test the TV with component out from the DVD recorder. to see if there is lag using just the DVD recorder, not the DVD recorder plus the HD-PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So how do I test the DVR's lag again? I didn't get it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So how do I test the DVR's lag again? I didn't get it.
    Do not use up the HD-PVR. Connect the game console's composite video out and stereo audio out to one of the the DVD recorder's A/V line inputs. Connect the DVD recorder's component video output and stereo audio output to the TV and play a game. If there is lag you will know it is the DVD recorder's fault.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, there is NO delay when I plug it from the console to the tv\HD-PVR so that confirms my suspicion, the DVD Recorder is the cause of the delay\lag. Recognizing that is one problem, now how do I solve it? I mean I have this very cheap system selector I got from Gamestop but that doesn't work diddly squat so how can those fair better? I think the gamestop one was made by Pelican\MadCatz
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by BladeBlur View Post
    Of course not. That is a selector switch, not a distribution amp.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't a distribution amp work the same way though?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by BladeBlur View Post
    Isn't a distribution amp work the same way though?
    No. The device you linked to is simply a switch. It connects to any one of the four outputs -- only one at a time. You need a distribution amp -- a device that sends the signal to multiple outputs at the same time. One output goes directly to the TV, another to the DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I got a distribution amp from radioshack just a moment ago. I plugged a system to it via S-Video and from it I plugged it to my HD-PVR to see how it fairs... and it still fails. While there is no lag problem what so ever, there is another problem I had originally when I try to plug the system directly to the HD-PVR: NO SIGNAL. The game just go into black screen randomly once again.

Just to clarify: Console (S-Video) > Amplifer (S-VIDEO) > HD-PVR (Component) > TV

Isn't the amplifier suppose to negate problems like this? If it "modernizes" the frequency, why is it still happening?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, I just performed another test.

Console (S-Video) > DVR (Component) > TV

With no HD-PVR

and this time there was no lag at all. No Amplifier needed!

From this I guess we can conclude that the problem is in fact the HD-PVR...
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've only used the HD PVR with component inputs and component output to the TV. There was no lag at the TV because that is a straight analog connection -- there's basically a distribution amp built into the HD PVR. There is a lag on the computer monitor as the video is buffered and compressed by the HD PVR, then buffered in the PC before being decompressed and displayed.

Maybe when you are converting s-video to component with the HD PVR it works differently.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, I just performed another test.

Console (S-Video) > DVR (Component) > TV

With no HD-PVR

and this time there was no lag at all. No Amplifier needed!

From this I guess we can conclude that the problem is in fact the HD-PVR...
    That was unexpected.

My own DVD recorders output video from all analog video ports simultaneously, but there is only one set of stereo audio ports shared by all the video connections. So, you still need to split the DVD recorder's audio output to provide audio signals for both the TV and the HD-PVR A distribution amplifier will provide a stronger, better quality signal than passive RCA splitters.

The only way to avoid using a splitter of some kind is if the DVD recorder has an optical S/PDIF output that functions at the same time as the stereo audio ports. If that is the case, you could use S/PDIF to connect the DVD recorder to the HD-PVR and use the analog stereo connections to connect the DVD recorder to your TV.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Aug 2012 at 00:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HD-PVR not work from old consoles using composite cables (SNES, MEGA, PSX, SATURN, N64).

If you need record this? Get Action Mirillis, run Hauppage soft and record screen using Action!.

No lag and 100% quality.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I got a distribution amp from radioshack just a moment ago. I plugged a system to it via S-Video and from it I plugged it to my HD-PVR to see how it fairs... and it still fails. While there is no lag problem what so ever, there is another problem I had originally when I try to plug the system directly to the HD-PVR: NO SIGNAL. The game just go into black screen randomly once again.

Just to clarify: Console (S-Video) > Amplifer (S-VIDEO) > HD-PVR (Component) > TV

Isn't the amplifier suppose to negate problems like this? If it "modernizes" the frequency, why is it still happening?
    Sorry, I missed this question last night. I guess the footnote at the bottom of my post telling you how to connect everything wasn't enough. You still need to add the the DVD recorder between the distribution amplifier and the HD-PVR to "modernize" the signal from your game console.

All a distribution amplifier does is spilt the signals it receives and amplify them to provide input for multiple devices at sufficient strength. It doesn't process the signals otherwise. The only purpose for having a distribution amplifier connected between the game console and DVD recorder was to split the A/V signals and give the TV a signal that had not been processed by the DVD recorder in order to eliminate the lag that we all thought was added by the DVD recorder.

[Edit]Although the DVD recorder appears not to introduce any lag, it is still possible that you will need a distribution amplifier. If using S/PDIF as I described in my previous post won't work, you will need to split the analog stereo audio output from the DVD recorder to provide audio for both the TV and the HD-PVR.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Aug 2012 at 10:16.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well I got a distribution amp from radioshack just a moment ago.
    Some people just don't get it.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 06:12.
    Quote Quote