VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

I am currently working as an editing assistant for a documentary project, mostly based on archive footage, on a Mac. I have compiled a bunch of footage I ripped from satellite tv - through a hack that allows me to connect an external hardrive to my tv and record any channel. The output to these recordings is a full HD .TS file, with a h.264 codec, 29.97 fps.

I need to convert these files to the workflow configuration of this documentary - a full HD .mov file, apple pro res codec, 24 fps...I have tried many, many video converters, like MPEGStreamclip, which crashes (but handles the SD tv footage well), adobe media encoder cs5, which does not recognize the files, ffmpegx, which also does not recognize the files...

I have had some luck with MACX Video converter Pro, but the conversion results keeps coming out of sync (even with the force av sync function on) and I still need to get the files through MPEGstreamclip afterwards, because MACX video converter does not work with many codecs....

Does anyone know of a quality video converter for TS files, on a mac? Does not need tobe freeware. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Since you are working on a Mac, this makes this a Mac question. Questions in our Mac forum have a special symbol that shows up on the main page and marks them as Mac forum questions. We have members with Mac experience who look for this. I will ask a moderator to move this for you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where are you doing the editing in?

Have you tried MediaEdit Pro? I've used it to edit projects with some pretty weird container/codec combination.

www.miensoftware.com/mediaedit.html

As for MPEG Streamclip: Have you tried using the Apple Intermediate Codec setting? If that works, then your NLE's import function may get you the rest of the way there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. you can try iffmpeg , the ffmpeg binary is updated and much newer than ffmpegx

maybe clipwrap would be sufficient to re-wrap and use in your editor

There might be something peculiar about your files or the hack you used creating non standard transport streams, can you provide more info ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tips everyone, and jman98 for the change, I hadnīt tried iffmeg or mediaeditpro, will give them a shot today.

And yes, poisondeathray, I suspect there is something peculiar about these files,since many different video software recognize them differently or dont recognize them at all. But nothing peculiiar shows up at media info through vlc: 3 audio streams, mp4a codec, 1 video stream, 59.940060 fps, h264. They are all about 10 minutes in lenght, 1Gb in size.

I think the hack might be creating broken ts files, since it records directly through the satellite signal, which may have been "choppy" during the recordings.
    Last edited by arewe; 20th Aug 2012 at 11:24.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes! iffmpeg is working fine with the files! none of the syncing problems I had with other software! Will register it now
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everybody!

I've been long absent from this forum, but now I have a problem and do need yr help. I recorded a video from a satelite receiver (TV signal) and I got a ".ts" file that is not recognized by any video file converter I tried (Imtoo, WinX HD, Freemake video converter, Sony Vegas, Media Converter S, VLC). So I can not play the file in my PC or burn a DVD disc.
    Can anyone help me pls?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sooo, what does your adding to this thread have to do with each other?
    Are you using mac or pc?
    Sounds like your file is corrupt.
    From now on, start a thread and quit gravedigging.

ps.
    If your file isn't corrupt and you are using a pc, you can try avidemux and see if it can open it.
    Quote Quote