VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am currently running on Mountain Lion using a iMac and was wondering how to split a MP4 by size? I ilke the feature on tsMuxer where you can split by gb although I am not looking to mux my mp4 only split it. I want to split a 9 GB file in 3 3gb parts. I have been trying to find freeware but had no luck. If anyone knows of a program or method of doing this it would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    In the future, if you ask ANYTHING at all that is specific to a Mac, it needs to go in our Mac forum. If you're doing it on a Mac, it's a Mac question. Posts in our Mac forum show up with a special symbol on the main page and we have a small number of Mac users who specifically look for posts with that symbol to see if they can help.

Since tsmuxer works on Macs, I don't understand why you can't use it. You said it "can split by gb" so I don't understand why you can't use it since your own post says it will do what you want. The truth is that all the good freeware is on Windows. I'm writing this on an iMac right now but it's still the truth. Windows has the tools. Mac doesn't. Surely if for some reason tsmuxer cannot do this then there must be some kind of Mac video editor you can use. Perhaps iMovie can do it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I only wanted to split not convert the file. If I put it into tsMuxer and set the settings up to split. It is going to change it from MP4 to ts or m2ts. I do not want to do this. I want to split my mp4 by size into 3 parts and have it remain in .mp4 format. Plus for some reason when I put it into tsmuxer it doesnt even load right. But that is not the issue because I dont want the final file in a transport stream I want to keep it a mp4. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can this thread somehow be moved to the Mac section?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Code:
    mp4box -splits 3145728 inputfile.mp4
    -splits size_in_kb : splits the input file in a sequence of files of maximum specified size. Depending on random access distribution in the file (sync samples), the size of the resulting files may be less than specified.

Get a Pre-Compiled MP4Box here. Move the binary to e.g. /usr/local/bin for easy access, so that Terminal knows where to look for it.
    Last edited by Case; 15th Aug 2012 at 00:24.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Case: Nice info. I've DL'd the app and filed your message where I can find it. Very helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the help everyone. I will try using mp4box today. If only there were a mp4boxGUI for OS X!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by voz1z View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. I will try using mp4box today. If only there were a mp4boxGUI for OS X!
    Your request spurred me into creating the app you asked for. Download it here:
    HTML Code:
    http://fs07n3.sendspace.com/dl/df5752c65eec0701e44b99c992f7083e/502c1866728a541c/lq97xw/MP4ToolboxGUI-OSX.app.zip
    It probably won't be up there very long as SendSpace deletes files after a time. I haven't yet uploaded it to my website.
    The app assumes you've downloaded and installed the pre-compiled MP4box app per Case's recommendation (inside /usr/local/bin ). My app can run from anywhere. No; it's not signed so, if you have 10.8 set to only trust signed apps and App Store apps, you'll need to depress the Control key when you click on the app and select Open.

There's very little error checking in the app at this point. When it asks you to select your MP4 file you can select anything. Be careful. I did add a field where the text output from the shell command is placed so, if something isn't working well for you, copy and paste that text into a message to me and I'll try to fix things.

I'll do some decent documentation soon enough. Thanks for your patience.
    Quote Quote