VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best way to get recorded programs from a Sky+ HD box into the PC.

The capture device I am currently using is a Pinnacle Dazzle USB device DVC100. Is a scart connection the only way to go.

The picture quality using the 4pin S-video cable input is terrible and get much better results using the composite input, which to me seems the wrong way around.

When I connect the adaptor to a VCR I can't even get a signal from the s-video input

What am I doing wrong
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am not familiar the the connection options on a HD Box but unless I am very mistaken the option you are choosing ie Scart is analogue only and especially so in to a Dazzle.

And you will certainly not want, even if you could, connect the box to a VCR as you end up with an even lower quality signal. But the reason for no picture on the VCR could well be down to you inadvertingly connecting the s-video to the video out on the VCR instead of the video-in. We have all done it at some time or another.

It is possible that the s-video connection on the dazzle is faulty hence the poor picture. Or there is a specific setting in the capture software that you have overlooked.

If you want to capture in HD you will have to consider a different capture device. Hauppauge do some and another that comes to mind is Blackmagic.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The dazzle is in good working order since I am able to capture the video from my camcorder no problems. Slight confusion, when I mentioned the VCR I was copying from it. I've had experience of trying to copy to from a DVD recorder to VCR, not good at all

Just confused as to why they bother putting s-video connectors on the adaptor when as you mention scart is analogue signal.

I have since tried three different devices to capture video from. My Sky+, VCR and a DVD player and all connected through the scart and using the various cables and the result is the same in all cases the yellow composite phono socket is far better than using the 4-pin s-video one.

I am happy with the output using the composite so am not too bothered. But just confused as to why such difference in quality.

There aren't that many options in the capture software and I shall certainly take another closer look just in case. the Dazzle is supplied with Studio 14 HD

I also tried the AVS software and that gave the same results.
    Last edited by Mount1003; 14th Aug 2012 at 13:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a little clarification for you - I was quite tired when I replied yesterday - Scart or Yellow/Red/White Composite are Standard Definition signals. You only get HD via a HDMI connection. The SD connections are there if a subscriber intends at some future date to upgrade their tv (although I see no point in paying an additional HD subscription only to watch in SD)

As for the s-video conenction on the dazzle, the multitude of different equipment tested points to incorrect capture software setup IF your camera was also connected though the S-Video.

I can not test this as I do not own a dazzle but usually you have different source settings for composite or s-video. But I also now wonder whether the Dazzle is expecting a HD signal and barfs when it only gets a SD one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A quick follow-up.

Did a Google and found a manual for Studio 14. There is a 'toggle' switch between composite and s-video (you also need to select the correct source - there are several) and another, on the same page, between PAL and NTSC.

Studio 14 is quite old. You should check with Pinnacle to ensure that both your hardware and software is fully compatable with your OS. There may be driver/software patches available.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The toggle works fine, if the incorrect setting for the cable in use is selected you just get no input signal in the preview screen. All permutations have been tried, same results.

When I bought the hardware it stated on the box Win 7 compatability, but not sure about the software upgrades for Studio, will check later. I could fork out extra pounds to upgrade to the latest incarnation of Studio 15 Ulimate, but rather not at the moment.

Thanks for the help anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just one thought.

Did you conect with your camera AFTER the test with the Sky+ or BEFORE ?

I just wonder if you have bent one of the pins on the cable.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They were different cables. One supplied by the cam manufactured and the other a regular gold plated contacts cable off ebay
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Better check that ebay cable then. Or try another one.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My thoughts too.
    Quote Quote