VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Where do you store your cd/dvd/blu-ray discs?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I store mine in disc wallets.I will add more options for disc holders i prolly missed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Plastic disc case. But I have very few...I stopped use cd/dvd/blu-ray a long time ago.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Soft multi case, but I too don't need them anymore.

Burning CDs isn't too bad but burning DVDs is a colossal pain ... the only dvd author program I ever found to work well has almost 1000 entries in its support thread, which should say something.

Also, cd/dvd is actually at least as expensive as hard drive space, especially when you factor in the cost of all that storage. You could just put them back on the spindle and save some $$$ but that's even more of a colossal pain.

And there's the convenience of storing media on a hard drive and playing with software.

Why does anybody bother with burning discs anymore? I don't do it anymore except for install media and I do not know one single person who does either. And I live in a college town. I'd be very surprised if disc media exists in 5 years.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I store mine in 3.5 inch hard drives.Kept in separate locations. They don't get scratched or melt or deteriorate with age.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Paper sleeves and jewel cases, all inside pretty shoe boxes
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure what category to use. I used to store them in individual plastic cases but like Baldrick I don't store or use many disks now days. I usually put them back into the 50 pack they came in. I number each disk with a Sharpie and indicate the numerical sequence on the top of the 50 pack.

Mostly, I do what isapc does and my comment for the reason would be the same as his with the added caveat that once on a 2 tb disk they become easy to catalog and move around on the disk.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Store in plastic disc cases and then in a rack or box. I have over 1,500 of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	storage.jpg
Views:	8342
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	13470
    Best things Ikea ever made.
    They are 27cm deep.

These are only for my homemade DVDs, data backups and stuff....all discs are in paper sleeves.
    Last edited by hech54; 13th Aug 2012 at 11:48. Reason: Forgot something....
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I store my discs in slim plastic jewel cases that fit nicely in black shoe-box sized cardboard storage boxes. I still burn files to disc for backup, author DVDs, and use a DVD recorder. I hope to get a Blu-ray burner and player soon. All hard drives fail eventually, so anything I want to keep indefinitely is transferred to optical media, which is more reliable as long as the media used is high-quality and properly stored.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some in plastic disk cases, most back in the cake box spindle.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I like to keep series in wallets or those IKEA drawers, but otherwise everything is in jewel boxes within Rubbermaid containers or shoeboxes.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Homemade disc cabinet with three big drawers. Mostly burned dvd movie backups in here. Most of my tv capture stuff is piled up in cakeboxes.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 27th Apr 2016 at 18:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The attic.
    The garage.
    A barn.
    A pile on the floor in the corner.
    In a sunny window sill.
    In the trunk of my car.
    A box above the shower.

Seriously.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    [Attachment 13470 - Click to enlarge]

Best things Ikea ever made.
    They are 27cm deep.

These are only for my homemade DVDs, data backups and stuff....all discs are in paper sleeves.
    Interesting. I have tons of discs myself. Are these designed for the hard-shell cd sized cases for individual discs or for the full size cases that you'd get from store bought movies? Ie how tall are they?

I keep my storebought blurays in their original cases. I keep my dvd box sets in their original cases too (as well as the few bluray box sets I know have - all of the star trek movies and now finally all of the matrix movies - though believe it or not I'm actually salvaging my hd-dvd box case that I had for my hd-dvd matrix box set. I still have my animatrix dvd that came with the hd-dvd box set so that is my fourth disc - I have each movie on bluray now - the first one individually, I also bought reloaded as a single bluray and then just recently I bought reloaded+revolutions as a combo pack so I could finish the trilogy on bluray).

For my dvds its a split job. Some I keep in their original cases and a lot of others I use the soft flipper cases that hold anywhere from 24-48 and higher count. I also have a mondo 200 case pack that I have for my homemade burns.

I've finally started using my wdtv gen one model a lot more. I've downloaded tons off youtube over the last year and it is so much easier with the downloader I use to save it as a h264 mp4 file and just play it straight off my wdtv. It doesn't have streaming so I can't watch it straight from youtube. I can stream youtube off my xbox 360 but its quite loud (the fan) and it does occasionally have buffer delay which is annoying even though I have cable internet. That way watching the downloaded file off the wdtv I don't have any problems watching it.

I haven't been making nearly as many dvds since I"ve started going this way. I do burn to archive though. And I'm going to start pulling out a usb harddrive I've had in storage to backup a lot of my stuff. I've been acquiring a lot of animes lately and they are filling up pretty quickly. I need to start watching more.

I probably will once I finish halo 2. I've been working on checking off games I haven't finished and that was one of em.

Edit - anyone have a link for those ikea cases? I actually live pretty close to an ikea believe it or not....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Huge bookshelfs full of Avery 3ring 'wide' binders full of Case Logic plastic 12cm disk holders (8 discs ea). Totally expanable, up to some 130 binders at present.

All the parts available on Amazon, although I usually buy the Avery wide heavy duty binders from whoever has them on sale at the moment.

Do nned to get another bookshelf (office depot) fairly soon.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1461793832059-1497894105.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	36797  

Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    On a shelf in my living room, ordered by genre...Yes, really.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just recently started storing mine in paper sleeves, and then I cut up the dvd jule and carefully pull out the poster or original artwork. If the artwork is too large then I cut some of it carefully with a utility knife to fit in the back of the sleeve. And for the dvd tv series, ie. Wings, Friends, Star Trek Voyager, etc., I cut what artwork I want out, and insert those in the back since the sleeve has 3 pockets, two in the front, and one main one in the back for artwork etc. But I can cram a series in one sleeve--did that for each of the Voyager sets. They have 7 discs.
    Quote Quote  
  18. In the freezer at -18c.
    Quote Quote