VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    You are not exactly helping yourself here. The request was for the original vob BEFORE patching and not AFTER.

Surely, if you have the dvd you can do that since the vob you have uploaded is patched. The result is identical to what I achieved except I can not check the AR as originally report by mediainfo.

What concerns me also if why your vob is NTSC. There is no logical reason to release it like that for the Australian market especially given that the dvd I have is all region PAL. I have some music dvds released in the UK as NTSC and that makes more sense but this one is PAL.

2. Guest34343
    I'm downloading the stream now and will find out why it is causing some apps, including DGIndex, to barf. Apparently you have resolved the aspect ratio question.

3. Guest34343
    OK, mystery solved.

One of the sequence headers near the middle of the file has the load_non_intra_quantiser_matrix flag set, but the expected 64 bytes of quantiser matrix that should follow are missing. This causes the parser to consume the following start code elements as matrix data:

sequence extension
    sequence_display_extension
    gop_header
    picture_header (first I field of an IP field pair, this is field structure)
    picture_coding_extension
    first slice

Needless to say, this confounds DGIndex's parser, and some other tools as well.

I was able to implement a workaround but I'm not sure it's worth it, given that the stream is obviously broken, and that the OP's processing of the original VOB may have caused this. The spec says that none of the matrix element values can be 0. So I look and if I see any 0's I pretend the load_non_intra_quantiser_matrix flag was not set. Obviously I will see 0's because there are start codes there where the matrix values should be.

If this was not caused by DVDPatcher I would consider releasing it. Maybe DB83 can post the corresponding section from the original DVD. I also wonder why the patched VOB is NTSC when the original is PAL.
    Last edited by Guest34343; 14th Aug 2012 at 15:01.

4. Thanks for the explanation neuron

Assuming it wasn't DVDPatcher, how would this happen in the wild (why would only 1 sequence header somewhere in the middle be affected)

5. Thanks very much for taking a look at it. Apparently the DVD has quite a bit wrong with it, judging from the reviews I see here and there.

Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
    I also wonder why the patched VOB is NTSC when the original is PAL.
    Skywalka (the OP) has the NTSC version. One might wonder why he bought it because, if the VOB for this song is any indication, the whole thing is a lousy PAL to NTSC conversion, and the PAL versions will be of much better (relative) quality.

Search Comp PM
    If this was not caused by DVDPatcher I would consider releasing it. Maybe DB83 can post the corresponding section from the original DVD. I also wonder why the patched VOB is NTSC when the original is PAL.
    If it does help, I can upload the original, un-patched, vob as ripped from my dvd. I will leave it until the morning (UK time) as the net is a little quieter then.

I would have prefered to see the original from the OP if only to explain the NTSC mystery.

7. Guest34343
    It was only one in the sample. There could have been more in the whole VOB.

It's hard to say how it could have happened. Could be a buggy encoder. Could be a simple bit error in copying or
    transmission. But my money's on DVDPatcher hosing it up.

8. Guest34343
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    If it does help, I can upload the original, un-patched, vob as ripped from my dvd.
    It would be useful. Thanks in advance.

I agree with you, though, we really need Skywalka to re-rip his NTSC DVD and post the corresponding segment from the unprocessed VOB.
    Last edited by Guest34343; 14th Aug 2012 at 16:40.

9. Guest34343
    Here you can see the problem in my MPEG2 analyzer. The highlighted sequence header is expanded on the right. If you convert the matrix data to hex, you see that it is actually video data.

After posting this I see that the VBV buffer size is also suspiciously large.

http://neuron2.net/misc/analysis.jpg
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	analysis.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	13494  

Search Comp PM
    As promised, here is the link for my rip of the un-patched vob from the PAL dvd.

http://depositfiles.com/files/nttisp6sj

For a giggle, I also tried to patch the vob as NTSC. The result was even worse than that as already posted so it seems that the OP's disk was NTSC. I also had tons of warnings about changing format.

When you play this I think you will agree that the AR is not even 16:9 (mediainfo reports 2.40:1). The impression I get is that a 16:9 letterbox to 4:3 source was used and then stretched again to 16:9. Patch this back to 4:3 will still give you some borders which, for me, proves that the original source was not pure 4:3.

11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    As promised, here is the link for my rip of the un-patched vob from the PAL dvd.

http://depositfiles.com/files/nttisp6sj

For a giggle, I also tried to patch the vob as NTSC. The result was even worse than that as already posted so it seems that the OP's disk was NTSC. I also had tons of warnings about changing format.

When you play this I think you will agree that the AR is not even 16:9 (mediainfo reports 2.40:1).
    It has the same basic problem as the OP's video. It's a widescreen (somewhere between 4:3 and 16:9) video letterboxed in a 4:3 DVD frame but flagged as 16:9 and includes a sequence display extension that says the 16:9 picture is in the inner 540x576 sub frame. So the full frame plays back as ~2.4:1. It should have been flagged as 4:3.

The video is much cleaner than the OP's though.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Aug 2012 at 07:29.

12. Guest34343
    As the site is telling me this download will require 3 hours, I ask: Does this PAL sample crash DGIndex?

13. I don't know. My PC went to sleep during the download and had to start over.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Aug 2012 at 10:37.

Search Comp PM
    As the site is telling me this download will require 3 hours, I ask: Does this PAL sample crash DGIndex?
    Sorry about that. I chose this host as it appeared a little faster than some I have experienced lately (including Rapidshare).

For the record, I have just demuxed the vob through DGindex and I received no errors.

I also did the same for my patched version of the same file. Also received no errors altough the demux appeared to take longer ( I did not time them)

15. Guest34343
    Thanks. I wonder where skywalka went. It would be nice to get closure on this.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys. I was unaware that replies had been made to this thread. I am surprised to see it has taken on a life of it's own.

You are not exactly helping yourself here. The request was for the original vob BEFORE patching and not AFTER.
    Originally Posted by skywalka View Post
    Sorry, I didn't make a copy of the file before I used DVDPatcher on it. I thought if there was a problem I could just change it back to 16:9. I'm uploading it now in case you still want to examine it
    Surely, if you have the dvd you can do that
    I do not have the DVD. I downloaded the DVD but thought discretion was best. Maybe not?

I don't know if this is of any use to you but here you go:
    It is no longer available from where I got it:
    no warez links
    Last edited by Baldrick; 13th Sep 2012 at 11:06.

17. Guest34343
    LOL. Your honesty is refreshing.

I already added the patch for the next DGDecNV release so I won't download the torrent to see if it was in the original or caused by DVD Patcher. I don't even have a torrent client installed anyway.

Search Comp PM
    Well I am not laughing. I am angry that I wasted time and bandwidth on this thread.

19. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy it and rerip.