VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My sony dcr-hc30 records in 320/240 on memory sick pro. When I import into I movie and then create dvd I get a small picture so I then convert to mp4 and stretch the video using handbrake and then burn to dvd. Is there a more efficient way of doing this? I am looking for software that will import,covert and burn to dvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jps1943 View Post
    My sony dcr-hc30 records in 320/240 on memory sick pro.
    Stop recording to the memory stick....320x240 is WAY too small for burning to DVD and expecting it to look any good.
    Also stop doing the added unnecessary and terribly "quality reducing" step of going to MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There is truly no way to resize 320x240 to standard DVD resolution and have it look good. But I would guess that this is not a big concern of yours because if it was, you would have complained about the quality in your post. I am not familiar with the format that your camera records in so I will leave it to others to suggest a tool.

However, you mentioned iMovie. Are you doing this on a Mac? If so we will need to get a moderator to move this thread to the Mac forum as you will only get Windows answers unless you specifically post in the Mac forum. Do NOT post again the Mac forum. We do not allow cross posting. Post back if you're doing it on a Mac and I'll get a moderator to move this for you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Good grief! - That's a DV camera!
    Like every other DV camera under the sun, it shoots full SD video (720 x 480 in NTSC lands). If you are getting lesser quality, it's because you ARE NOT FOLLOWING THE MANUAL'S INSTRUCTIONS on how to shoot and how to transfer to PC/Mac. Here's a preview:
    1. Shoot ALWAYS on TAPE
    2. Transfer ALWAYS via Firewire (aka Sony iLink aka IEEE1394)
    3. Use a known capturing app that supports DV/Firewire transfers.
    4. Save to a non-boot drive, but preferably a fast internal drive

If you've ALREADY shot some stuff incorrectly and it truly is 320x240, you are stuck with the quality being SHIT. Even if you choose to uprez (scale in resolution upward), it will look fuzzy at best. Good luck.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. At the risk of being flamed this is the closest I could get to my problem. I have a Sony DCR-HC30 that is part of a rather sophisticated video/GPS in car system that incorporates sensors for lots of other inputs like engine RPM, speed, track location,brake or throttle application, etc. It works very well and is nitorous for it's reliability. All that being said, it records to tape which I realize if ancient technology.

I need some help getting the DCR-HC30 to download the tape information to something that will enable me to convert it to a more up to date digital format. I have turned on the USB plug but it seems to be more interested in input than the reverse. I see your reference to wirewire and such so I need more specific information on what equipment/software I need to buy to make all this happen.

Please keep in mind that this area is far from my usual interests so acronyms and other jargon that is familiar to your usual participants will be a mystery to me.

Vern
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    firewire port on computer and firewire cable. if the computer doesn't have a firewire port you can get an add-in card.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007531&IsNodeId=1&Descr...rder=BESTMATCH

and you need a 4pin to 6pin cable
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Descr...=-1&isNodeId=1
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. The DCR-HC30 spec shows this for video:
    • Video Capture MPEG - 320 x 240,
      MPEG - 160 x 112
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    The DCR-HC30 spec shows this for video:
    • Video Capture MPEG - 320 x 240,
      MPEG - 160 x 112

not the whole story. it's a miniDV cam and shoots mainly on tape as DV. normal 720x480. what you are showing i believe is it's webcam mode over composite video out or usb.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. I appreciate the help. The Sony manual says it records in 320/240 at the normal speed/definition which I'm using. The manual also identified the port I'm using on the camera to connect it to a TV set as an A/V jack. An A/V cable came with the camera which has a male connector that goes into the camera and three phone jack male plugs on the other end, one yellow for video and a red and a white for audio.

One of my computers has what looks like a firewire port if my Google searches were successful. I can best describe it as slightly oblong with a square end and a half an octagon on the other end. If this is a firewire port then I assume all I will need is the 4 - 6 pin firewire cable you referred to in your previous post. Will this cable have the correct end to plug into the camera? The firewire port on the computer is part of the mother board so I assume there should be no problem for one of Microsoft's video software applications to recognize the signal from the camera and play it on the computer monitor.

Once I have all that in hand is there software available to convert the analog information coming to the computer over the firewire from the camera to a digital format that I can be used on You Tube and the like?

Vern
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the port you describe sounds like it is firewire. yes a 4-6pin cable should work, the camera should have a small port marked DV if it's a miniDV cam. the info on the tape will be digital already. you will need to use a program like winDV (it's free) to capture the tape directly to the computer's hard drive. it will require about 13GB of space per tape.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have the suggested cable and have downloaded the suggested software. The cable does match the firewire plug ins in my desktops. The plug on the other end (into the Sony handycam) plugs into the DV port rather than the A/V port that works when I try to play back from the tape to a TV set using the cord that came with the Handycam. I can start playing the tape through the touch screen controls in the Handycam but the WinDV software does not seem to be finding it. Also, Windows never makes the usual announcement of "finding new devise" that usually comes with something hitting on one of it's input jacks. Do I need to set something in the Handycam to output through the DV rather than the A/V port? Do I need to do something in the desktop to make this work?

I tried this on two different desktops and neither one seemed to realize the Handycam was attached.

Thanks in advance for the additional help.

Vern
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the cam should be turned on and in play mode when you plug in into the computer. and in the cam menu settings the dv port should be set in dv out. it might help if you filled out the computer specs section of your forum profile so we had some idea what type system you are working with.

[edit] you may need to install windv in a folder other than /programs and also run it as administrator.

once plugged in start windv. give it a couple minutes then press the button next to sources and see if it's listed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-25_121924.png
Views:	327
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	20803
    --
    Quote Quote  
  13. All seems to work fine now, the problem was my hooking it all up before I turned on the Handycam. When I plugged it into Windows 7 turned on all the usual finding software and the like started and WinDV had acquired the Handycam when I opened it up. Thanks, hope I don't have to bother you folks again for a while :^ )
    Quote Quote