VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My camera is a cheap one but it seems to have worked good for a while. However, it has problems when I have it in 720p mode (wider field of view than 1080p) and bring it in bright light (like the backyard around 1 or 2 PM). Most of the picture looks good but parts with straight edges exposed to sunlight or having a bright blue sky behind them will show up pixelated, like mosaic pixelation. When I shoot in 1080p mode, this doesn't happen but the lens equivalent in 1080p mode is 44 mm, whereas in 720p or standard def mode it is 35 mm (or something close to that). I want the wide field of view but I don't want the pixelation. I have tried making a wide angle adapter out of a viewfinder extracted from a disposable film camera, but something like that leaves parts of the video out of focus. I just don't know what to do. I'll shoot some 1080p footage tomorrow with and without the wide angle adapter to show you the difference. I have a video I shot in 720p mode attached to show you what I am talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wtf pixelate.png
Views:	857
Size:	566.7 KB
ID:	13356
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you sure it's true 720p HD video?
    It looks like it's been upscaled (in camera) to give it HD dimensions. (Cheap brands like Vivitar do this).

Regardless, what is the camera make/model?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    like you said it a cheap cam. about the worst i've seen. looks like in 720p mode it only uses part of the sensor and doesn't have enough pixels to record properly. it's not just the areas in bright light that have stairstepping but any diagonal with contrast. also the entire picture is washed out, unfocused, and just plain bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-05_114048.png
Views:	190
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	13360
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never noticed this...it actually looks 1080p when shot in 1080p but I have never really looked in depth at the 720p footage...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Are you sure it's true 720p HD video?
    It looks like it's been upscaled (in camera) to give it HD dimensions. (Cheap brands like Vivitar do this).

Regardless, what is the camera make/model?
    I am not sure of the model but on the box it says it's an Aiptek A-HD+ 1080p. I got it for $22 at walgreens...yeah, I'm that broke. It works fine in 1080p...or, it's workable (there's a lot of noise in low light).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Not being smart but at 22 dollars it could hardly be any good.this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-A-HD-Definition-Camcorder-Silver/product-reviews/B0019BPT...owViewpoints=0
    Quote Quote