VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to do some testing of a screen recording program that records to AVI in a proprietary codec. They do have a Direct Show filter version of the codec. I need a player that uses direct show and can be cued to a single frame, so I can capture that frame. I'll then capture the same frame from their AVC in MP4 container exported file, turn one negative and overlay them. My goal is to detect artifacts in their encoder. I could even use an editing program as long as there's a full screen display option. TIA.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use AviSynth with DirectShowSource() and VirtualDub. But beware, if the codec uses B frames DirectShow isn't guaranteed to deliver the correct frame upon random seeking. In fact, you might as well just do it all in AviSynth:

Code:
    v1 = DirectShowSource("file1.ext")
    v2 = ffVideoSource("file2.mp4") # or use DirectShowSource() here too

sub = v1.subtract(v2) 
    substrong = sub.levels(112,1,144,0,255) 

StackVertical(StackHorizontal(v1.subtitle("file1.ext"),v2.subtitle("file2.mp4")),StackHorizontal(sub.subtitle("Difference"),substrong.subtitle("Difference amplified 8x")))
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SMplayer will do frame step ... it works with the period key if I'm not mistaken.

I'm running it under linux now but it was also my preferred windows 7 player too. You can change the video output module and I'm pretty sure directx was the one that gave best performance. That's what it recommended and that's what I used.

It shouldn't have any problems with directshow. Linux ports like smplayer are generally designed properly with respect to dependencies, that's why I used mostly linux ports in windows 7 ... no codec nonsense ...
    Quote Quote