Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    get the demos and see which you prefer.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on what you're trying to do. Most people by the pricey products you mention and use them as simple editors and encoders. You can do just as well (and in some cases better) for around $150 or less. IMHO I wouldn't choose either.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 07:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @Sanlyn, you are confusing Avid Studio (like old Pinnacle products, at $170USD) with Avid Media Composer (Cadillac of editors, at $2500USD and up). That's like mixing up a Chevy Spark ($12k) with a Chevy Corvette (edit: sorry not Ford Mustang) ($50k) because, heck, they are both cars and they are both Chevys.

@Op, All depends on how you are going to drive it - are you a student commuter or a Cannonball Run/Racecar driver?

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 2nd Aug 2012 at 15:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hehe - "mustang" is and always has been a ford product. never heard of a "spark" from any car producer.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oops! BRAIN TYPO. Meant to say Corvette. Got those names & figures direct from both Avid and Chevrolet sites.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With all these crazy little crossover cars, hybrids and car/bicycle contraptions being pumped out with goofy names, there could well be a "spark" somewhere. Understandable mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    @Sanlyn, you are confusing Avid Studio (like old Pinnacle products, at $170USD) with Avid Media Composer (Cadillac of editors, at $2500USD and up). That's like mixing up a Chevy Spark ($12k) with a Chevy Mustang ($50k) because, heck, they are both cars and they are both Chevys.
    That's why I asked, what do you want to do with the software? Both the Cadillac and the Chevy (Mustang is made by Ford, BTW) will get you from one place to another, even if the Caddy will spend more time in the shop and burn more gas. Both are competent software, but it depends on which of the features you're willing to pay for. If all you want to do is "edit", there are any number of products that can "edit". But what do you mean by "edit"?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 07:40.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. It's like asking whether a mitre saw or table saw is the best choice. Until we know more about what one wants to accomplish, it's really hard to give a useful answer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Sony Vegas Platinum . The Avid/Pinnacle Studio seems to do more or less the same things ( including image stablisation , colour correction etc ) at roughly the same discounted internet price. . Both have adequate tutorials . Both have more effects than a wise director needs. The Avid/Pinnacle seems to have an easier DVD maker interface and it has a very full manual with some good simple movie making advice in the 'appendix D Videography Tips' section.

Programme speed and operation time depends mainly on what you are doing and how much calculation needs doing . The software designers know how to deal with this and I doubt if the time to do a particular task on a given computer differs much.between these two applications whatever some people think. Good quality output requires a lot of processing time so plan your activites accordingly .

I shall continue using Vegas because I am used to it but I can not recommend either editor as 'better' than the other. ... yours mike
    Quote Quote