VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I'm trying to update the firmware for my BD player, however Samsung firmware is only Windows compatible. The file is compressed and there is no Mac software I can find that can uncompress it (it's a .sec file). Samsung's reply is sorry. Essentially, if someone can either host the uncompressed version of the firmware update for download, or recommend a Mac program that uncompresses .sec files it would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are updating the FIRMWARE then you don't do anything with the .sec files. Try reading the instructions which I easily found via a 30 second Google search:
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/FM/201104/20110401141955778/USB_Upgrade%5Beng%5D.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  3. While I appreciate your condescension, I have already read that page. According to my search results, a .sec file is a compressed file format. My Blu-Ray player will not recognize the file until it is uncompressed. If I can obtain an uncompressed version of the file, I can slap it onto a flash drive and there is no problem, however the compression format .sec is only compatible with Windows. If there is something I'm missing in all of this, please do explain, but I don't need the sarcasm.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/FM/201104/20110401141955778/USB_Upgrade%5Beng%5D.pdf
    These instructions say absolutely NOTHING about un-zipping an .sec file. Read it again. You un-zip the ZIP file
    then place the contents to a blank USB stick. Whether the files need to be inside or outside of the IMAGE folder is anyone's guess.
    Try it both ways.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you're definitely missing something....

inside the "zip" file that is for all windows and macs is a folder called image and inside it are a bunch of files not just one "sec" file. it's the folder called image with all the files inside that needs to be in the root of the usb drive.

[Attachment 13296 - Click to enlarge]
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote