VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking to get a DVD/Blu-Ray player that's like the PS3 and will be able to play 'data' discs, which are DVD discs that have video on them, but aren't in the standard DVD (VOB) video format. It's more like treating a DVD disc as a USB drive.

Also, I need the player to be able to handle HD video such as MKV, and TS files.
    I don't want to have to convert them to the standard DVD or Blu-Ray structure in order for them to play properly. I want to be able just throw on a MKV/TS files on a USB drive, or DVD-5/9 disc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. i bought an LG bh4120s and it plays all files usb and disc
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You (almost) positively WON'T find a DVD player that plays HD files - they're SD only. Only BD (or the defunct HD-DVD) players, or generic "Media Players", play HD video.

Yes, some BD players will play MKV (more arriving every day), but for true "universal" compatibility, your best bet is either a generic Media Player like WDTV Live, or an HTPC software player (I like XBMC).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since your location is unknown it is hard to recommend specific models. All I can tell you to do is look at LG's Blu-Ray product line. I have seen recent US models from LG that will play MKV and TS files.

However there are going to be restrictions on what a Blu-Ray player will support within these containers. If you find a player you like, download and read the manual carefully to be sure the player supports the video, audio and subtitle formats you want to use, not just the container file formats. For example some LG players won't play DivX videos, but will play Xvid videos. Neither GMC or QPEL is likely to be supported by any BD player. Some players only play subtitles from external files. Many only support UTF-8 or ANSI text encoding for subtitles. Also make sure the player can read NTFS formatted drives, and large files. Some players may have restrictions on HDD capacity or USB flash drive capacity too.

Like Cornucopia said, you may find a media player or HTPC is a better choice for your situation.

USB 2.0 or BD media are better choices for playing HD video files than DVD9. DVD9 will have a layer break which causes a pause during playback. I have heard the disc drive may be louder too when playing HD files on DVD media.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Jul 2012 at 10:46.
    Quote Quote  
  5. @usually_quiet
    I'm from the US. I want to stay away from storing my media on HDD's since I don't trust them to last as long as discs.
    So, even though the WDTV looks great, it doesn't play discs.

I'm not concern about subtitles, or any of that. Just need a BD player that will play MKV/TS files on data DVD discs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thebib62 View Post
    @usually_quiet
    I'm from the US. I want to stay away from storing my media on HDD's since I don't trust them to last as long as discs.

I'm not concern about subtitles, or any of that. Just need a BD player that will play MKV/TS files on data DVD discs.
    I have been looking at a LG BP220 for myself. It's a budget 2D only player with limited Smart TV aps and a wired LAN connection. It can play video files from DVD+R DL and USB sticks. It plays MKV files, H.264 and MPEG-2. It doesn't list .ts as a supported file extension, but MPEG2 TS is listed under "Codec Format" You can download the manual from this page http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-BP220# If you need more features, LG has 3 additional BD players listed at its website.

I'm backing up my HDTV captures on DVD+R DL now too. I hope to switch to BD media at some point when I get a BD burner. Verbatim BD-R is the same price as DVD+R DL but holds 25 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    @usually_quiet

I have been looking at a LG BP220 for myself. It's a budget 2D only player with limited Smart TV aps and a wired LAN connection. It can play video files from DVD+R DL and USB sticks. It plays MKV files, H.264 and MPEG-2. It doesn't list .ts as a supported file extension, but MPEG2 TS is listed under "Codec Format" You can download the manual from this page http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-BP220# If you need more features, LG has 3 additional BD players listed at its website.

I'm backing up my HDTV captures on DVD+R DL now too. I hope to switch to BD media at some point when I get a BD burner. Verbatim BD-R is the same price as DVD+R DL but holds 25 GB.
    Would that player be able to read MKVs from a DVD-5 disc, or just DVD-9?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It should be able to read from either type of DVD media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LG makes the BP320 which is a step up from the BP220.

The main difference that I see is that the 320 has Wi-Fi built-in whereas the 220 does not. Not sure if there is another difference or if it is just that simple.

The price difference seems to be about $30 US dollars (with the 220 being $90 and the 320 being $120 where I checked on-line).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    It should be able to read from either type of DVD media.
    Honestly, when it comes to record(able) media, the brand, mediatype, burner, burnspeed is most important.
    So a general statement is not always good.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post

The main difference that I see is that the 320 has Wi-Fi built-in whereas the 220 does not. Not sure if there is another difference or if it is just that simple.

The price difference seems to be about $30 US dollars (with the 220 being $90 and the 320 being $120 where I checked on-line).

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've seen some people say they had problems with MKV's that were encoded with the vorbis audio codec.
    Have you used MKV's encoded with vorbis, or know of any other player that will for sure work with MKV's encoded with vorbis?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never run across a MKV that uses OGG audio (I assume that is what you mean by MKV endoded with vorbis)
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yeah, all of my personal encodes are with Vorbis (OGG).
    If OGG is not supported by any Blu-Ray players out there within the MKV container, is there a way I can quickly change the audio stream of the MKV to something else?

What do you guys suggest is the best audio format I use with MKV's?
    Best being, smallest size, with decent audio, that's the most compatible with Blu-Ray players.

Of course, I'd like to know first if there are any Blu-Ray players that will support OGG first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only have a PS3 at the moment (and my computer) but like you I've been thinking of buying a Blu-Ray player with good MKV support. I looked up the LG website and the LG BP220 says nothing about OGG/FLAC/Vorbis at all.

I doubt you'll find a Blu-Ray player with OGG audio support (in a MKV). Perhaps a media player (like the Western Digital LiveTV products) can do it. I'm not sure though. Even then I bet the answer is "no".

You would be better off sticking to AC-3 in the future (or AAC-LC).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    I only have a PS3 at the moment (and my computer) but like you I've been thinking of buying a Blu-Ray player with good MKV support. I looked up the LG website and the LG BP220 says nothing about OGG/FLAC/Vorbis at all.

I doubt you'll find a Blu-Ray player with OGG audio support (in a MKV). Perhaps a media player (like the Western Digital LiveTV products) can do it. I'm not sure though. Even then I bet the answer is "no".

You would be better off sticking to AC-3 in the future (or AAC-LC).
    Anyway I can take my MKV's that have OGG Vorbis, and change just the audio stream to AC-3, so I don't have to completely re-encode the entire MKV file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes you can do that. I'm not sure what program would be best for that though as I've never had to deal with OGG in a MKV but there's probably some program out there that will do it in one step for you.

Maybe try rebox.NET

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've seen some people say they had problems with MKV's that were encoded with the vorbis audio codec.
    Have you used MKV's encoded with vorbis, or know of any other player that will for sure work with MKV's encoded with vorbis?
    If you want to play MKVs with audio encoded with Vorbis (OGG) you need to use a PC or a media player, not a BD Player.

The primary purpose of BD players is to play regular Blu-Ray and DVD video. Playing media files is a bonus feature. They have many more restrictions regarding what they will play than a media player or PC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Aug 2012 at 22:25.
    Quote Quote