VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Need to convert ProRes to 422 HD MPEG2 program stream.
    Can FF MPEG do this? I can't seem to find the settings to make this happen.
    Am I out of luck?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, ffmpeg or ffmbc can do it

ffmbc has xdcamhd422 presets you can use

http://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/wiki/XDCAMHD422Encoding

just enter .mpg if you want MPEG2-PS , and use the correct vtag for your input video

e.g for 1080p24 , assuming stream copied audio

Code:
    ffmbc -i input.mov -target xdcamhd422 -vcodec copy -vtag xd5d output.mpg
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't need XDCAM .. just MPEG2 HD 422 I would like to be able to adjust the bitrate to maybe 15 or 18Mbps CBR for our Playout server.
    From what I understand I can't insert Closed Captioning into a XDCam file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you sure? Sorry, what is this "playout server?"

xdcamhd is pretty industry standard stuff @ 50Mb/s CBR 422 MPEG2 . It's the minimum bitrate required for most submissions . 15-18Mb/s CBR isn't accepted in most places (and since you're using 422, it's obviously not intended for a final format)

You can use -vcodec mpeg2video and -b for bitrate, and -pix_fmt yuv422p to force 422, but I can't recall how to force CBR or insert null packets with ffmpeg/ffmbc

I don't know about Closed Captioning, maybe you can start another thread asking about that
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 27th Jul 2012 at 14:10.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We are using PLAYBOX AirBox. http://www.playbox.tv/go.idecs?i=286
    And Closed Captioning compatibility is a big issue.
    Right now CC for HD files in Playbox only works on MPEG2 files they are working on getting H.264 as we speak but for right now I need a solution for MPEG2 HD to get our files on the air.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You're just using xdcam preset for the video encoding (it normally doesn't come in mpeg2-ps, it usually comes in .mxf, .mp4 or .mov containers)

I think CC should be compatible in mpeg2-ps (.mpg) or transport streams, but I don't know how to mux them in

In order to get real CBR, the buffer size, minrate and maxrate need to be set properly, otherwise you get underflow or overflows . I don't know how to calculate this for mpeg2

You can try asking the ffmpeg dev's, or maybe try at doom9 or doom10 forums. The ffmbc developer is very knowledgable and actively involved in the industry you can try the ffmbc board as well
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    apparently fmbc is for Windows and Linux only. I am on a Mac.
    I really wish Apple would just support MPEG2 encoding in QT. The MPEG2 playback component is only good for decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think you should be able to compile it for mac, as you can compile ffmpeg for osx as well . There might be some precompiled mac binaries floating around if you search google

You might be able to do it with ffmpegx , or iffmpeg (these are GUI's around ffmpeg) , but I don't know if they give you enough control over the settings

They were talking about implementing captions in ffmbc in the past, but it looks like work in progress still
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/ffmbc-discuss/iy_gAAJxW4U
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You should have MPEG2 encoding with Apple's "Compressor".

Scott
    Quote Quote