VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, so I recently got a new HD TV a couple of weeks ago, and before I got it, I used my capture card on a standard definition TV. The capture card comes with red, yellow, and white plugs, and the HD TV doesn't have sockets for these plugs, unlike the SD TV. I was wondering if there was a way for me to plug in my capture card to my new TV. It doesn't matter if my videos are in HD or not, I'd just like my capture card to work. Can someone please help me out? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you were recording video output from your old SD TV. If that is true, you were lucky to have that option. Very few TVs have outgoing video connections (monitor out). Your chance of finding an HDTV equipped with an outgoing video connection is likely zero, and there is no way to add one to connect your capture device for recording video.

You will need to find a different way to record TV. The options available to you depend on the type of service you have (antenna, analog cable, digital cable, satellite or IPTV.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome, tottenb. Unfortunately like many new members you have the erroneous idea that the less you tell us, the more likely you are to get help. Your post is unclear and missing information that would help you to get a solution to your problem.

What is the make and model of your capture card?
    Are you trying to just connect it to the TV to playback video or are you trying to record signals coming out of the TV? If it is the latter, is there a reason why you are not trying to record directly from a cable or satellite box instead?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I'm not exactly sure what the make and model is, but on the capture card it says "Diamond Multimedia" and "One-Touch Video Camera." Unfortunately, the manual was thrown away. When I had an SD TV, I connected my capture card to the TV using red, white and yellow wires, and got the video on the computer by using EZ Grabber. Now, on my HD TV there are sockets for a red and white wire, but not a yellow wire. However, there are sockets for a green, blue, and orange wire. Can you put the yellow one in any of these sockets?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tottenb View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what the make and model is, but on the capture card it says "Diamond Multimedia" and "One-Touch Video Camera." Unfortunately, the manual was thrown away. When I had an SD TV, I connected my capture card to the TV using red, white and yellow wires, and got the video on the computer by using EZ Grabber. Now, on my HD TV there are sockets for a red and white wire, but not a yellow wire. However, there are sockets for a green, blue, and orange wire. Can you put the yellow one in any of these sockets?
    You cannot record the video output from your HDTV, because there is none to record, period. HDTVs can output audio, at best, to connect a home theater sound system. Your TV's video connections are all for incoming signals so you can use the TV with a cable box, satellite receiver, DVD player, Blu-Ray player, etc.

You need to find a different way to record TV. What you have done in the past will not work anymore.

What kind of TV service do you have (antenna, analog cable, digital cable, satellite or IPTV)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I think it's digital cable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have digital cable, then you have a cable box of some sort, or a simpler box called a DTA.

If you have a cable box, you can use your Diamond One-Touch Video Capture to record from cable box's yellow, red and white connections. If you have a DTA, they usually output video via a coax cable using analog channel 3 or channel 4. In that case you might consider buying a TV card with an analog tuner.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No.

As for your cable box, there should be a make and model number somewhere on the box.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 06:54.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If you have digital cable, then you have a cable box of some sort, or a simpler box called a DTA.

If you have a cable box, you can use your Diamond One-Touch Video Capture to record from cable box's yellow, red and white connections. If you have a DTA, they usually output video via a coax cable using analog channel 3 or channel 4. In that case you might consider buying a TV card with an analog tuner.
    Okay, thank you...I do have a cable box, hopefully that will work.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Okay, thank you...I do have a cable box, hopefully that will work.
    Plugging it into the cable box worked, but is there a way to change the input to HDMI or TV on the capture card? I'm trying to record videos on my Xbox, but my capture card only records TV shows.
    Last edited by tottenb; 27th Jul 2012 at 13:33.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    HDMI is almost always encrypted (copy protected). HDMI has less to do with PQ than with copy protection.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 06:55.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Plugging it into the cable box worked, but is there a way to change the input to HDMI or TV on the capture card? I'm trying to record videos on my Xbox, but my capture card only records TV shows.
    If you want to record the output from your XBox 360 with your Diamond One-Touch Video Capture, there are ways to do that, although you can only record and play in standard definition. The XBox 360 does not allow you to use HDMI plus any one of its analog connections at the same time. The XBox 360 also does not allow you to use its analog component video and another analog video connection at the same time. The only video connections on an XBox 360 that can work at the same time are S-Video (a round min-din connection) and composite (yellow RCA). However, there is only one stereo audio source available, which means that you have to split it to provide a signal for your TV and your capture device.

You need two audio and video signals to feed both the TV and capture device while playing a video game. A powered splitter (also known as a distribution amplifier) is one way two provide the signals. Here are relatively inexpensive examples of the kind of device I mean:
    http://www.amazon.com/Distribution-Amplifier-Splitter-Composite-Uninex/dp/B005N0CRT4
    http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-Video-Distribution-Amplifier-Splitter/dp/B003CMDGJK/...qid=1343424354

When you are not using the distribution amplifier to record video games, you could use it to split the signal from your cable box between the TV and the Diamond One-Touch Video Capture.

There are also passive RCA splitters like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Video-Splitter-Adapter-Female/dp/B003L1AI8O/ref=sr_1_7?s=ele...qid=1343430502

Although they are very inexpensive and many use them for recording video games (YouTube has numerous videos demonstrating it), they cut the signals strength in half, so avoid using them them if you can.

This is an A/B switch that you could use to switch the A/V source for the One Touch Video capture between your cable box and your XBox 360 if you do not want to physically change connections.
    http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DT902AV-2-Way-V-Switcher/dp/B0014KOAD8/ref=sr_1_7?s=electron...qid=1343436030
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Jul 2012 at 19:47.
    Quote Quote