VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My original source is NTSC Telecine 29.97fps - DGIndex d2v project.

I IVTC'ed back to 23.97fps with Avisynth, did my restoration work, and saved the AVI.

My goal is to transcode to MP4 with Handbrake.

Here's the problem: Handbrake does not have an option to add pulldown flags (soft telecine).

If I start over and save my d2v with the "honor pulldown flags" option in DG Index, will the flags remain in my clip, even after I IVTC with Avisynth and re-encode as-is with Handbrake?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you really need pulldown? Modern media players handle it as-is, as far as I'm aware.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You don't need pulldown in an MP4 file.

If you use "honor pulldown flags" in DgIndex you don't have flags anymore, you have hard pulldown.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. So how does the new MP4 (H.264) file play then? Does the speed adjust to the 23.97 fps material in order to sync with the remuxed audio?

It's 100% synced when played in my computer, that's for sure. I just want to make sure it plays that way on my PS3 and other media players.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The running time is not changed by pulldown flags.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I understand, but since those extra frames are not being duplicated during playback, how does the progressive material now play in the MP4 to sync with the audio?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe that question requires a farfetched answer, but in a nutshell
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
    I understand, but since those extra frames are not being duplicated during playback, how does the progressive material now play in the MP4 to sync with the audio?
    They are being duplicated during playback. Unless you are feeding them to a 23.976 fps device. In which case they are displayed for 1/23.976 second each.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    MP4 automatically duplicates frames during playback, is what you're saying?
    Quote Quote  
  10. No, the device playing the MP4 will automatically duplicate frames. The reason for pulldown flags (or hard pulldown) on DVD was that DVD players were originally dumb devices. They weren't expected to know how to perform frame (field) rate conversions themselves. So flags were added to the video stream to tell the players how to perform the conversion from 23.976 (or any rate from 19.98 to 29.97) progressive frames to 59.94 fields per second NTSC video. Any device smart enough to play MP4 files is smart enough to perform the frame rate conversion for output.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Beautiful. Thank you very much, this clears alot of headaches and saves me alot of aggravation.
    Quote Quote