VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, I would like to know if I can record HD using a Hauppauge HD PVR while playing on a standard tv in sd using the following method described below.

1. Buy 5 "1 female to 2 female splitters"
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2X-New-1-Female-2-Female-RCA-PLUG-AV-Splitter-Adapter-/18090464...=3660977524855

2. Buy 2 "component/audio cables"
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3FT-5-RCA-Component-Video-Male-A-V-Cable-Audio-5-RCA-DVD-VCR-TV...ht_2926wt_1014

3. Buy 1 "component to composite converter"
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/250908076644?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_6446wt_800

So, finally. Let me explain.
    1. Connect the xbox component/audio cables to the 5 splitters "1 input side".
    2. Connect the 2 component/audio cables to the other side of the splitters "2 input side"
    3. Connect one of the component/audio cables directly to the Hauppauge HD PVR with the xbox set to 1080p for HD Recording.
    4. Connect the other component/audio cable to the converter and convert signal to av or s-video and hookup to standard tv.

Now, to make it less confusing I left out the purchase listing for the final items you would need to make this work properly in which would be 2 more "1 female to 2 female rca splitters" so that you may make another split for audio to your standard tv. AND, of course the s-video or yellow av cable to conect the converter to your tv.

So please tell me what you think. Please, no comments such as screw that, just by an HD TV, because I don't want one. My standard TV is a tube/flat-screen standard definition. I can't seem to play on anything but it, I have played on my brothers HD TV and various others. I just want to know if this will work or not, thanks. And I don't want to spend the money
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Hauppauge HD-PVR has an internal component video and audio splitter to connect a TV. You do not need to buy any splitters.

To record in HD and play in SD:
    1. Connect the XBox 360 to the HD-PVR's component A/V inputs with an XBox 360 component A/V cable.
    2. Connect the HD-PVR's component A/V outputs to the "component to composite converter" with a regular component A/V cable.
    3. Connect the "component to composite converter" to the SD TV with a regular composite A/V cable or regular S-Video A/V cable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The Hauppauge HD-PVR has an internal component video and audio splitter to connect a TV. You do not need to buy any splitters.

1. Connect the XBox 360 to the HD-PVR's component A/V inputs with an XBox 360 component A/V cable.
    2. Connect the HD-PVR's component A/V outputs to the "component to composite converter" with a regular component A/V cable.
    3. Connect the "component to composite converter" to the SD TV with a regular composite A/V cable or regular S-Video A/V cable.
    ummm...i guess so, but I'd still buy all of the above just in case. And I guess with your method, I would still need to split the output audio therefore still needing 2 splitters. Correct? But ultimately, u r saying it will work right?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by un4gettable47 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

ummm...i guess so, but I'd still buy all of the above just in case. And I guess with your method, I would still need to split the output audio therefore still needing 2 splitters. Correct? But ultimately, u r saying it will work right?
    No, you do not need splitters for audio either. The Hauppauge HD-PVR has an internal splitter for all its video and audio inputs. The HD-PVR amplifies as well as splits the audio and video signals to avoid quality loss.

If you use all the cables and splitters mentioned in your original post, you might as well not buy the HD-PVR. Using splitters with the HD-PVR is a waste of time and money. You are creating an inefficient setup that will reduce the quality of your recordings and the quality video and audio provided for the TV. There are cheaper USB recording devices than the HD-PVR which require using splitters, if you want to go tho the trouble of splitting everything yourself and don't mind an inferior result.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Jul 2012 at 19:02.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

No, you do not need splitters for audio either. The Hauppauge HD-PVR has an internal splitter for all its video and audio inputs. The HD-PVR amplifies as well as splits the audio and video signals to avoid quality loss.

If you use all the cables and splitters mentioned in your original post, you might as well not buy the HD-PVR. Using splitters with the HD-PVR is a waste of time and money. You are creating an inefficient setup that will reduce the quality of your recordings and the quality video and audio provided for the TV. There are cheaper USB recording devices than the HD-PVR which require using splitters, if you want to go tho the trouble of splitting everything yourself and don't mind an inferior result.
    ohh, ohh kay. I didn't see the 3.5mm audio jack on the component to composite converter and thought i needed to split my own audio. I understand now. Thanks.

Also, are you familiar with the component to composite converter i have selected above on ebay? Will it give me the same composite output quality as the regular xbox composite quality after the conversion on my sd tv? And will the HD PVR record same HD quality with the converter attached to output as if it were not. Thanks a million man.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ohh, ohh kay. I didn't see the 3.5mm audio jack on the component to composite converter and thought i needed to split my own audio. I understand now. Thanks.
    I didn't notice the 3.5 mm jack on the output side of component to composite converter. You need a 3.5mm to RCA stereo adapter to use the RCA composite A/V cable I mentioned earlier. I think such adapters are fairly easy to find. These are examples of adapters you could use:
    http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-3-5mm-Gold-Adapter-Female/dp/B001R95J2M/ref=sr_1_5?s=elec...qid=1342917300

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B000J1H4VI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electron...qid=1342917300

http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-3-5mm-Stereo-Male-Cable/dp/B000V0G2C4/ref=sr_1_18?s=elect...=1342917300&sr

Also, are you familiar with the component to composite converter i have selected above on ebay? Will it give me the same composite output quality as the regular xbox composite quality after the conversion on my sd tv? And will the HD PVR record same HD quality with the converter attached to output as if it were not. Thanks a million man.
    I have no idea if that component to composite converter is good. I have never owned a component to composite so I can't tell you which ones are good or bad. All I can suggest is that you look for user reviews from other gamers. The converter should not affect the HD-PVR at all.
    Quote Quote  
  7. OK, thanks. And yes, I had previously bought that same audio adapter on ebay Thanks so much 4 ur help.
    Quote Quote