VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi I was wondering if anybody here is familiar with the JVC SR-HD1500US pro Blu-Ray Recorder deck. for some reason the deck will not completely burn a blu-ray, It goes for a few minutes then stops and says dubbing is complete, but there is nothing on the disc and the disc is no longer usable;however , I can burn a DVD of the same video clips without a problem. I've tried calling JVC tech support ;but, all i get is answering machines and no responses. if anybody has a solution other than taking a sledgehammer to it, it would be greatly appreciated. -Josh
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what format are the files you are trying to burn to bdr?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. According to manual I have to convert the video clips to a AF format before I can burn a BDMV. which is what I have done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what is af format? not one i've heard of. and what do you use to convert the video?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's a compression format used by the deck itself. it's the equivalent of XP, SP, LP for DVD's but for HD content. When I import the video clips into the deck via a 1394 converter box, it records the videos to HDD into this DR (Direct Recording) format which is not compressed. but you can't burn a Blu-ray with the DR format, the deck requires you to convert it to one of the HD compression formats in order to burn it to a BD - R, and you do this within the deck itself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what camera and format video files?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. I work in a college TV studio so the video source is not a camera directly, The source actually is a Ross Softmetal video server where we record all of our productions. The server is set to record in DVCPROHD 1080i 60fps. The videos are then captured to Blu-ray deck via a Roland VC-50HD 1394 Field converter box. The cameras we use are Panasonics one of the professional models (the actual model escapes me at the moment). The Blu-ray deck does accept the videos to be recorded to the Internal HDD without a problem, it just won't burn them to a BD-r.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is the source fed into the roland via hdsdi? and is the roland set to output HDV 1080i over firewire?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes that is correct and that works perfectly fine, I can capture and play the videos back from the Blu-ray deck, No problem just can't burn a Blu-ray.To burn a Blu-ray I have to capture the videos the HDD first and then burn, unlike our Panasonic DVD recorder deck where I could just record straight to disc.
    Last edited by OCCFilmandVideo; 13th Jul 2012 at 14:07.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1080i 60fps video is not valid for BluRay. If you're trying to make a BD directly from that as input, that would certainly be a problem.

This lists what is valid for the format:
    https://www.videohelp.com/hd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no where in the manual does the jvc say it can record anything straight to bd. everything has to go from the hdd to bd. HDV audio isn't allowed on blu-ray, so i don't see how any recorder could go direct. the panny must go to hdd and then bd also, but maybe in the background.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    1080i 60fps video is not valid for BluRay. If you're trying to make a BD directly from that as input, that would certainly be a problem.

This lists what is valid for the format:
    https://www.videohelp.com/hd

it's converted to HDV 30i before firewire transfer to the recorder.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  13. Actually with the Roland, the video does stay at 1920 x 1080 60 or 59.94 fps. the 59.94 footage will burn to the blu-ray, I have burned 1 Blu-ray with the footage, only It was a BDAV format, meaning the disc can still be edited but won't work in consumer Blu-ray players which is what I need. I'm trying to a BDMV and that is where the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OCCFilmandVideo View Post
    Actually with the Roland, the video does stay at 1920 x 1080 60 or 59.94 fps. the 59.94 footage will burn to the blu-ray, I have burned 1 Blu-ray with the footage, only It was a BDAV format, meaning the disc can still be edited but won't work in consumer Blu-ray players which is what I need. I'm trying to a BDMV and that is where the problem is.
    that would be a bummer. that recorder only works with HDV over firewire.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  15. I can record to the Blu-Ray deck's HDD perfectly fine, it's just at the moment can't the burn the blu-ray format I need, In fact the deck is sold with Roland field converter as a package deal. So the Roland VC-50HD is certified by JVC to work with their Blu-ray recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, but if you read the manual, that recorder only works with HDV over firewire. or certain jvc cams over usb.

Name:  2012-07-12_234613.png
Views: 1680
Size:  9.5 KB
    --
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yeah that is true, we couldn't afford the model that has a HD-SDI input. Recording media into the deck isn't the issue
    It's burning the media to a BD-r as a BDMV from the deck's HDD that is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well set the roland to convert the video to HDV before sending it to the recorder and see if it can work with that format from the hard drive to bdr.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  19. I just checked it, the Roland is in fact set to HDV already. So that isn't the issue. I have also since tried put only 1 clip on the disc and it still will not completely burn a BD-r but it still will burn a DVD no problem. I'm thinking about taking the damn thing back and get a Panasonic Blu-ray recorder, at least I can get in contact with their customer service. I'm never buying a JVC anything ever again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so the HDV files are 1440x1080 30i on the hard drive and those don't work? sounds like a legitimate defect, you should be able to return it.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  21. That would be nice, If I could get a hold of their customer service to report the defect ,and get instructions on
    how begin the exchange (On top of that I have to deal changing the stupid asset tag for the college's purposes) . I've called and emailed them several times, no response, and don't want to just fill out their service request form before talking to one of their seemingly non-existent service techs.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by OCCFilmandVideo View Post
    I'm thinking about taking the damn thing back and get a Panasonic Blu-ray recorder, at least I can get in contact with their customer service. I'm never buying a JVC anything ever again.
    I'm no fan of JVC, but I have to ask *what* Panasonic recorder you think you can exchange it for, and where you would get it from? AFAIK, Panasonic BD/HDD is not available to North America in any form: consumer, pro, or "import." For sure I don't see one in the B&H catalog, unless I'm searching incorrectly. Considering Panasonic has more or less had a lock on the worldwide BD/HDD recorder market right from the beginning, due to their peculiar arrangement with Sony, I've always wondered why the hell they chose to push JVC as the sole USA/Canada semi-pro units.
    Last edited by orsetto; 16th Jul 2012 at 17:04.
    Quote Quote  
  23. At the time I hadn't actually researched what I could exchange it for, and even if the deck is just defective, I still want to get rid of it, just based on JVC's crappy customer service;however, I actually don't have the authority where I work at , to make purchases or exchanges for that matter. I can only suggest.

I only said Panasonic because we have a Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder and I figured there should be Panasonic Blu-Ray/HDD recorder; but , I guess not
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Orsetto is correct, while Panasonic may be(or should say was) the king of standalone BD recorders in Europe, they never made a model for NTSC(60hz) use. In the US one can purchase international Panasonic DVD/HDD DVDRs that not only work on 50hz but also 60hz, I've never seen a international BD recorder. While the European Panasonic BD recorders may be able to PLAY 60hz I really doubt they would be able to record in 60hz(also called NTSC).
    As much as I like standalones, moving to BD in N. America really requires moving to a PC platform.
    Quote Quote  
  25. You're pretty much stuck with this JVC as no other BD standalone recorder is available in North America. Before you edited an earlier post, I think you mentioned the unit was bought from B&H Photo Video. If so, they are obligated to at least help you find a customer service contact: B&H positions itself as a pro video supplier by selling these very pricey niche products, so its in their best interest to help you reach someone at JVC or hook you up with a staff consultant who has a clue how to assist you. B&H can be a little off-putting on the phone, you need to firmly insist on being connected to a support person who can help a pro video customer. If that fails, blitz them with email and snail mail.

I'm not fond of "semipro" JVC gear, it tends to be flakey beyond belief and none too reliable. Previous lookalike DVD/HDD versions of these recorders were notorious for burner problems right out of the box. Despite this, it is unlikely your SR-HD1500 has gone defective in such a short time: you need to get hold of someone in tech support who can give clear direction on the settings needed for the Roland to feed this recorder a signal that is burnable to BDMV. Standalone BD recorders are very limited in what they can burn to consumer-compatible BD-R, just about everything you stick on the hard drive will be considered out of spec for BDMV. Something is slightly off in either the camera feed or the Roland conversion process that is creating "illegal" files on the JVC hard drive. It can burn those files to BDAV or downconvert to DVD, but to make a legit BDMV you'll need exact settings advice from either JVC or Roland tech support. If the machine still fails to burn a proper BDMV, that would indicate a burner defect.

Unfortunately I have no idea what settings you need to make, and the odds of someone else here having exactly the same combination of recorder, conversion box and cameras are unlikely. If JVC continues to be unresponsive, keep after B&H until they cough up a direct tech support contact. Some numbers you can try at B&H are Education Sales at 212 239 7503, The Studio division at 212 502 6370 (thestudio@BandH.com), or B&H Professional Video 212 444 6686.
    Last edited by orsetto; 16th Jul 2012 at 20:51.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Actually the deck was bought by the company who upgraded our TV studio. In regards to the Issue. I have finally got in contact with JVC and they confirmed the deck was defective and I am now in the process of getting it exchanged.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I had the same problem with my SR-HD1250. The machine is now being fixed by JVC in California. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  28. JVC actually sent us a brand new deck, instead of repairing it.
    Quote Quote  
  29. So my HDD is dead on my JVC Blu-ray recorder (this model) and I tried installing a 1TB HDD and it says HDD cannot be formatted. What HDD format do these machines accept if anyone knows so I can get it working again. It's bad enough I lost all the data and my old HDD and now I can't get a new HDD to work in this machine.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by mikey128v View Post
    So my HDD is dead on my JVC Blu-ray recorder (this model) and I tried installing a 1TB HDD and it says HDD cannot be formatted. What HDD format do these machines accept if anyone knows so I can get it working again. It's bad enough I lost all the data and my old HDD and now I can't get a new HDD to work in this machine.
    Just saw your post from a couple months ago, and I don't know if you've given up on your JVC Blu-ray recorder, but I've just come across the same issue, and a (somewhat brute force) solution. I bought a used model, sold with the HDD removed, so I bought a replacement (Western Digital "Purple") HDD, and couldn't get it to format either, no matter what I tried. It seems JVC used some proprietary partitioning that's required before the recorder will "format" the HDD (so their "format" is just a security option to delete old video).

The ultimate solution was to take the hard drive out of ANOTHER (working) JVC, put both in a HDD cloning dock (Wavlink from Newegg or Amazon), and clone the good drive to the new one. The only limitation is that my working model had a smaller HDD than the new one, so the new HDD only formats to the old, smaller size. Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote