VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    On a couple of machines on the home network, I dual boot WinXP and Win7, for the best of both worlds with regard to software and hardware compatibility, and on a couple of (older) others I dual boot WinXP and Linux Ubuntu, for the best of both worlds with regard to sh!ts and giggles.

I've also been meaning to look into that whole virtual machine thing, which seems all the rage. Remind me why, again?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The main reason for me to use VirtualBox is when I am running Linux. Using VirtualBox allows me to run Windows at the same time. I like Linux but there's always something it seems I need from Windows. So instead of rebooting (i.e., a dual boot) I can just bring up my Windows VirtualBox or Virtual Machine (VirtualBox is the software).

Another reason you might use it is if you have upgraded but need old support. I guess a good example would be someone who now uses Windows 7 but has some old program that needs Windows XP. Rather than dual boot you can run Windows XP in VirtualBox and access it from Windows 7 without dual booting.

Another use is to try an operating system. A virtual machine via VirtualBox is a great way to test new Linux Distros.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    Another example that I hinted at above is scanning via Linux. The scanning drivers for Linux really suck. None of them can seem to do "descreening" while scanning. So if you use Linux you can install Windows in a Virtual Machine and use a USB scanner which allows you to scan from Windows in the Virtual Machine. This way you can use Windows drivers and get a quality scan. After that you can copy it over to your Linux install to do whatever (I find that GIMP is good enough for my use).
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was having a problem with my AMD 1090T computer. It wouldn't run any DVD\BR players,PowerDVD or TMT. I installed W7 and my DVD\BR players worked. I would guess there's an compatibility problem with XP and the 970 AMD chipset. But under W7 my CPU utililization dropped to 50% on BR conversion. Google searching and tinkering yielded no answer. I reinstalled XP and my CPU use went back to 100% and my speed returned.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    I was having a problem with my AMD 1090T computer. It wouldn't run any DVD\BR players,PowerDVD or TMT. I installed W7 and my DVD\BR players worked. I would guess there's an compatibility problem with XP and the 970 AMD chipset. But under W7 my CPU utililization dropped to 50% on BR conversion. Google searching and tinkering yielded no answer. I reinstalled XP and my CPU use went back to 100% and my speed returned.
    I suppose this is a good case of doing a dual boot.

Thankfully I think such situations are rare but a shame it had to be you

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  5. There's no Win 7 64 bit driver for my old scanner. That's one reason I keep XP around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There's no Win 7 64 bit driver for my old scanner. That's one reason I keep XP around.
    If you have Windows XP installed in VirtualBox then you can use the scanner that way ... assuming it is a USB scanner.

Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There's no Win 7 64 bit driver for my old scanner. That's one reason I keep XP around.
    Yeah I have the same problem with my Canon scanner but I use my old XP laptop to scan then I transfer to my 7 desktop with a USB thumbdrive. What's nice about 7 is it has built-in support for most legacy peripherals.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    Yeah I have the same problem with my Canon scanner but I use my old XP laptop to scan then I transfer to my 7 desktop with a USB thumbdrive. What's nice about 7 is it has built-in support for most legacy peripherals.
    I do the same with my old XP desktop and old Visioneer One Touch scanner, but I'm finally getting tired of it. I may get a new scanner soon, probably an Epson.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I keep XP around if only for whenever I want to run Ulead DVD Workshop 2, among other things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @nicebud - can you do a full install with an oem version?

It is interesting that this upgrade to 8 allows backwards installation of win 7.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by p_l View Post
    I've also been meaning to look into that whole virtual machine thing, which seems all the rage. Remind me why, again?
    I run a few legacy programs in a VM. But more importantly, I can get on the 'net with a VM with never a care and freely try out new programs/configurations. I have several VMs with different operating systems. All you need is a 64-bit host OS, along with lots of RAM (you gotta assign a maximum allowance to a VM you create). Plus OS licenses and and of course hard drive space.

If anything stuffs up, I can shut down the VM, delete the folder it was installed to, restore the folder from a copy (maintained on a separate hard drive), and be back up in less than 5 minutes. Just copy/paste, that's all. Nothing that happens in the VM matters to the host OS, so long as you're careful about shared folder permissions.

As to h264 encoding being slower in Win7 than in XP, I haven't found that to be the case, or if it is, it wasn't much of a difference.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. In 1991, I paid $56 for a licensed copy of MS-DOS 5.0 - just to put things in perspective.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

Like I said, others can probably do better. That's just a few things off the top of my head.

Good luck.
    I'm not trying to start a debate here, but I just thought I'd comment on your post. I don't disagree with most of what you said as such, however....

1. I've imaged my Windows setups for years. On average I probably restore the "Windows only" image once a year, update it, then image it again. Once that's done I do the same with the "Windows and programs" image, update everything again then make a new image. I doubt that'd change due to the flavour of Windows, although doing so with Windows 7 would force me to change my current imaging software.... sigh.

2. I still use the classic view with XP. I hate the default XP "designed by an eight year old" look. I don't hate Aero but it doesn't excite me. It seems to waste some screen real estate compared to classic Windows, but I guess we've got annoying ribbons instead of traditional menus now to make up for it.
    I use Quick Launch for (almost) instant access to regularly used software. It pops up like a mini start menu. 2 clicks and I'm opening a program. Don't get me started on the Vista/Windows 7 Start menu....

3. Fragmentation. It's never been a problem for me. I probably only defragment twice a year max, and the most fragmented partition is generally "C" where Windows and programs reside. Even then the defragmenter invariably announces "you do not need to defragment this volume". Most of my defragmenting happens naturally after I fill a drive, during the process of copying it's files to something else.

4. I've not had major issues with driver stability, even video drivers, but then I'm not a gamer. Video drivers just get updated during my yearly re-imaging process. If ever I have driver issues of one kind or another, more often than not they appear after a driver update, so these days I work on the "if it ain't broken" principle. Especially when it comes to TV tuner/capture card drivers. The ones I'm using are a few years old and work fine. Some of the newer drivers though..... well I'm scared to even try now.

5. I quite dislike desktop gadgets.

So that still leaves me waiting for some "doesn't work with XP" hardware or software to come along to give me a reason to upgrade. Something I'd normally want to use anyway. Each to their own though....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yoda313
    Yes you can do a full install(its the full version).It doesnt effect your XP setup.Just pop the disc in and off you go.
    If you want try the latest version of windows on your machine as it is then download this for FREE

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

This might give you some insight on how your pc is going to handle the new OS.

This should keep the cost down before buy any new OS or new hardware.

You never no you might NOT have to buy any new hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Windows 7 x64 even worked well on my ancient laptop AMD turion 1,8Ghz with 1Gb ram and Radeon x700 128MB !

Windows 8 is a huge step back for desktop users! Start menu removed, aero glass removed (interface looks really cheap now) , useless ribbons from office copied to explorer ...

I have feeling that M$ is tying to invent a wheel again.

I guess that Win8 will end up like vista and then Windows 9 will be more like "apologize edition" with all features restored
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it boils down to this:

WinXP support is ending in 2014 and that's only 2 years away.

So would you rather wait until that time and be stuck going to Windows 8 or would you rather upgrade NOW to Windows 7?

Bear in mind Windows 7 will be supported until 2020 and while I assume that Windows 7 will still be legally available when Windows 8 first comes out I'm not sure if you will still be able to buy it legally come 2014.

I mean Windows XP is still supported but you can't actually legally buy it anymore.

So again what happens when XP support runs out in 2014 and the only legal version of Windows you can buy is Windows 8? You are good and screwed!

So in my mind ... be safe ... and get Windows 7 now while you can still legally buy it.

Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    So again what happens when XP support runs out in 2014 and the only legal version of Windows you can buy is Windows 8? You are good and screwed!
    End of support means Microsoft no longer releasing new updates or security fixes etc. All previously released updates should still be downloadable. I'm pretty sure I read a post in another forum where someone claimed they installed Win2000 on an old machine fairly recently and could still download a plethora of them using Windows Update. XP should work just as well after support ends as it did before.

Personally I don't update Windows more than a couple of times a year anyway. The possibility of picking up a nasty bothers me less than constantly updating stuff, and I don't run antivirus, antispyware or a software firewall.

Microsoft's support isn't my concern. It's if the software I want to install will continue to run on XP or whether sooner or later a newer version of Windows will become a system requirement. I guess it'll happen one day, but hopefully a lot later than sooner.

When did sales of Windows XP cease? It wasn't that long ago was it? Chances are you'll still be able to buy Windows 7 long after Windows 8 is released, especially if 8 turns out to be another Vista.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Will you really need Microsoft support for XP? Security patches are the only thing you might miss. Drivers from third parties will probably get harder to find. $40 for a Win7 insurance policy is a good deal though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I think it's insane to continue to run WinXP past the 2014 support date. At that point you are just being an idiot running a system that will have no bug fixes and more importantly no security fixes.

Honestly I'm shocked so many are STILL using WinXP right now. Sure it is still supported but Windows 7 is awesome and has been around a long time now ...

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    I mean Windows XP is still supported but you can't actually legally buy it anymore.

So in my mind ... be safe ... and get Windows 7 now while you can still legally buy it.

Microsoft stopped selling XP licenses in 2009. They are hard to find, but you can still legally buy a genuine XP license from 3rd parties who purchased them from Microsoft before Microsoft stopped sales.

Well I think it's insane to continue to run WinXP past the 2014 support date. At that point you are just being an idiot running a system that will have no bug fixes and more importantly no security fixes.

Honestly I'm shocked so many are STILL using WinXP right now. Sure it is still supported but Windows 7 is awesome and has been around a long time now ...

Many of those still running XP are only doing it only because they dislike change. I can think of only a very few good reasons to still be running XP.

1. You have an older computer that won't run Windows 7.
    2. Your economic situation is such that you can't afford to upgrade.
    3. You need to run old software or use old hardware that won't work with Windows 7 because either no good substitutes exist, or you can't afford the substitutes (or Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate to get XP mode).
    4. Your XP computer is provided by your employer, and upgrading it is out of your control.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Jul 2012 at 11:26.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I can think of only a very few good reasons to still be running XP.

3. You need to run old software or use old hardware that won't work with Windows 7 because either no good substitutes exist, or you can't afford the substitutes (or Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate to get XP mode).
    4. Your XP computer is provided by your employer, and upgrading it is out of your control.
    5. You have valid XP licenses, all your software and hardware are working fine, and you don't need anything that Vista, Win7, Win8... offer.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I can think of only a very few good reasons to still be running XP.

5. You have valid XP licenses, all your software and hardware are working fine, and you don't need anything that Vista, Win7, Win8... offer.
    Mostly people who give reason 5 are simply rationalizing their resistance to change.
    Quote Quote  
  23. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Mostly people who give reason 5 are simply rationalizing their resistance to change.
    Are you sure that you are not rationalizing the commonplace which says "newer is always better, especially when designed by the Microsoft geniuses"?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post

Personally I don't update Windows more than a couple of times a year anyway. The possibility of picking up a nasty bothers me less than constantly updating stuff, and I don't run antivirus, antispyware or a software firewall.

If you stay offline then most likely you will be safe but generally that's not wise, yes XP will still work after 4/8/14 but you won't get any new security updates. I would imagine there are some that still use Windows 2000 or 98.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Are you sure that you are not rationalizing the commonplace which says "newer is always better, especially when designed by the Microsoft geniuses"?
    In my own case, no. There were features specific to Windows 7 that I wanted, and these features were not available in either Vista or XP. Better security and a better Windows media center were the primary ones, but I liked the new search feature and the library feature as well.

BTW Being too set in your ways to adapt to change does not make you a power user.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    And here's me running XP now, only updating it once or twice a year anyway, no firewall (I'm behind a router) no antivirus, no anti-malware, and no infections (usually before restoring the previous Windows image and updating everything, which I probably do around once per year or so, I install an antivirus program and run a scan to check), yet I spend way too much time trying to clean the nasties off the hard drives of people who do. As a result I suspect the definition of being an idiot mightn't be so simple.

Well now you've played the "shocked" and "awesome" cards.... I don't know what I was thinking....

BTW Being too set in your ways to adapt to change does not make you a power user.
    Ironically, so far the only real "too set in your ways" argument I've read in this thread was offered in the form of upgrading to Win7 before you've no longer got a choice but to adapt to Windows 8.

Personally I think it's a silly generalization anyway. When there's a benefit for me and my computer usage I'll do so. The third party file manager I use still has more features than Windows Explorer yet I "upgraded" to using it long before Vista appeared. I was using a tabbed browser (MyIE) while most of the world still thought IE6 was a clever idea. I'm happy you found an excuse to upgrade, but even if they've finally reached the usable stage, I'm hoping you're not suggesting using a few of the toys Microsoft included with the latest version of Windows qualifies someone as a power user either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NICEBUD View Post
    yoda313
    Yes you can do a full install(its the full version).It doesnt effect your XP setup.Just pop the disc in and off you go.
    If you want try the latest version of windows on your machine as it is then download this for FREE

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

This might give you some insight on how your pc is going to handle the new OS.

This should keep the cost down before buy any new OS or new hardware.

You never no you might NOT have to buy any new hardware.
    Thanks.

So an oem copy is a full copy of windows?

I might look into that angle.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Yes, but technicall the license is limited to "one computer". Ie, if you buy a new computer you can't transfer that license from the old computer to the new one. If you ever need to transfer that license on another computer, if it won't activate automatically online, tell Microsoft you had to replace a blown motherboard, or you upgraded several components, or something like that. They'll usually accept that as the "same computer".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Yes, but technicall the license is limited to "one computer". Ie, if you buy a new computer you can't transfer that license from the old computer to the new one. If you ever need to transfer that license on another computer, if it won't activate automatically online, tell Microsoft you had to replace a blown motherboard, or you upgraded several components, or something like that. They'll usually accept that as the "same computer".
    Do they have multi pc licenses packages for oem copies? I don't know that I'd go this route or when I would. But I do have two desktops that I'd want to work on. One for sure but 2 would be nice.

Thanks everybody.
    Quote Quote