VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does FFmpegX download/install the FFmpeg command line tools?

I've looked at installing FFmpeg from their website on my Lion machines but there are several additional installs etc so am looking for a simple solution.

If FFmpegX does make them available, and updated periodically, this is definitely my preferred way to manage the complex installation of FFmpeg and its dependencies.

BTW: I need this for pyTiVo, among other tools.

Thanks!

-- Owen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by backspaces View Post
    Does FFmpegX download/install the FFmpeg command line tools?
    ffmpegX does not download additional command line tools by itself. The app does contain a static build of ffmpeg (inside the application bundle), which is updated at the discretion of the developer. Some additional command line tools (mpeg2enc, mencoder, mplayer) must be downloaded by the user, as indicated by app. This has to do with licenses and laws. The app will perform the installation of these three additional tools. Other command line tools are included in the application bundle.

If you just want recent builds of the ffmpeg command line tool, to be used outside of ffmpegX, then bookmark this site: http://go.to/osxffmpegcompiling
    and replace your copy with a new one once available.
    Last edited by Case; 2nd Jul 2012 at 13:39.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have downloaded and installed the latest version (4.5.0.2) but when coming to downloading FFMPEG it displays a message that it cannot download ffmpeg.exe and that I should try later or check my security settings (which allow any download anyway and i am admin on windows).

Whenever I load the program it tries to download ffmpeg.exe and fails as above.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by qvcfast View Post
    I have downloaded and installed the latest version (4.5.0.2) but when coming to downloading FFMPEG it displays a message that it cannot download ffmpeg.exe and that I should try later or check my security settings (which allow any download anyway and i am admin on windows).

Whenever I load the program it tries to download ffmpeg.exe and fails as above.
    @qvcfast: Wrong forum. ffmpeg.exe is not ffmpegX.
    Quote Quote