VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've run AnyDVD to backup my Dirty Harry 3 blu-ray to hard disk. Afterwards the conversion of the main movie worked fine. But no success with the extras -which are VC-1 encoded- with any program I tried directly, e.g. Handbrake, meGui, SolveigMM Video Splitter (after remuxing). I re-tried copying the BR to hard disk using DVDFab Passkey and DVDFab HD Decrypter, too. Conversion failed, either. So I took on another way, a long long way.

Here's what I used:
    - Blu-ray playing software, e.g. TMT 5
    - Fraps
    - VirtualDub
    - VfW codec of your choice
    - ffdshow

Step 1:
    - start Fraps and set up destination path, fps (in my case 60 because source was 29.97 fps NTSC) and hotkey (in my case F9)

Step 2:
    - play blu-ray and start your chosen title

Step 3:
    - as soon as your title plays hit (F9) and wait
    - when your title has finished playing hit (F9) again so recording stops

Step 4:
    - load the resulting .avi in VirtualDub or your favorite video editor and convert it

Again, I used this to convert VC-1 encoded titles to x264 because each and every other tool had failed me. Altogether, software showed some strange behavior with this. MPC-HC played the title itself flawlessly. Opening it with VDub worked fine - for video, audio was not available. AviDemux, XMedia Recode, SolveiggMM Video Splitter (after remuxing) failed. Green video display and distorted sound.

Don't know why those tools had acted that way. The title must have been decrypted thoroughly because MPC-HC played it with no problems.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  2. How did you attempt to convert using Megui?

When I've come across VC1 video I usually remux into mkv, then index the file with ffms, load into avisynth and then Megui.

It should work, besides if I had to do a screencap it never would have gotten done.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    For those who don't understand, leghorn used a screen capture program to record his video in real time to AVI format which he then re-encoded.

You know, when your neighbor asks you to walk across the street to go to his house, one option is to walk all the way around the earth in the opposite direction to get there. But I don't recommend that either.

Good grief, man. BD-rebuilder is fully capable of encoding progressive VC-1 video without any problems. It would have been a lot simpler to do that. It may or may not have problems with interlaced VC-1. DVD Beaver says the region A Blu Ray release is 23.97 fps progressive VC-1. It is highly unlikely that yours is different.
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews37/dirty_harry_ultimate_collectors_blu-ray.htm
    Last edited by jman98; 30th Jun 2012 at 21:49. Reason: fixed typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Of course there are those times where there is a gigantic crater of lava and toxic waste between you and your neighbors' house. Then, it's appropriate to go the long way around. (e.g.: screencapping some proprietary/DRM securitycam shit)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @rnb5500: meGui wouldn't even index the file. Upon selecting the source it suggested FFMSindex but choosing an output file was impossible (grayed out).

@jman98: I didn't try BD-RB. The main movie surely is 23.97, but the extras are SD with 29.97.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote