VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys. I just have a few questions about the IPhone 4S (which I currently don't own but hope to in the near future.)

So just a little background info so you guys know what's up.

I'm trying to shoot educational videos that will be streamed on my website. Just me standing in front of a green screen giving a lecture. I just want to keep it simple with an intro, pop-up text, transitions and whatnot.

Instead of spending $$$ on a professional camcorder, I've decided to go with the IPhone 4S.

Question #1

If I record footage with an IPhone 4S can I just simply import it into IMOVIE 11 and edit away? Or do I have to convert it? I've read a lot of problems about the audio not syncing due to the file being already compressed.

Question #2

Can the IPhone 4S record in different quality than 1080p? Like 640x480 or 720x480?

Question #3

If the above is true, is it better to record at 720x480 and then encode it for online streaming? Or is it better to record at 1080p or 720p and then encode it to 720x480? What is the difference?

Thanks for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2. I did not see any other settings for video quality on my Iphone 4S.

1. I did import my video to IMovie and did simple edit without problems

3. I dont know.

I like to edit on cheap with Adobe Premier Elements. I'm sure someone will suggest better options.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    iPhone = $700 (or maybe $200 with $1500 of commitment to monthly mobile charges).

Camcorder = $200-300, better zoom, better audio (maybe even audio-in jack for wireless mic), SDHC card for unlimited storage, swapping cards, etc.

Resolution: Will there be small items that will be unreadable at SD (480p) but more readable at HD (720p)? If the latter, shoot at 720p as it's much easier to edit. These videos sound like podcasts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    iPhone = $700 (or maybe $200 with $1500 of commitment to monthly mobile charges).

Camcorder = $200-300, better zoom, better audio (maybe even audio-in jack for wireless mic), SDHC card for unlimited storage, swapping cards, etc.

Resolution: Will there be small items that will be unreadable at SD (480p) but more readable at HD (720p)? If the latter, shoot at 720p as it's much easier to edit. These videos sound like podcasts.

IPhone 4S - convenience, always with you. Good for basic video shooting, a pretty good hd videos. I think its full HD. I doubt $200-300 Camcorder will do such quality. Yeah, no optical zoom is suck. Just my two cents.
    I've got myself camcorder though, Sony hdr 580v, after I found my camera shoot pal videos.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies guys.

I know the IPhone 4S is expensive but my current phone contract is almost up so I was thinking of getting the IPhone 4S.

Getting a camcorder would be optimal, but again, I don't wanna spend the money on one because for what I'm doing, I think the IPhone 4S can do just as good with the convenience of it being a phone with many other uses.

ATM I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2 and am having tons of audio sync problems trying to edit the videos in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and Corel VideoStudio x5.

So if the IPhone 4S has no issues with the audio sync when editing, I'm all for it

To Serega, you said you had no problems editing your IPhone 4S videos. Can I ask what spec your IMac is?
    I'm thinking of getting an IMac.

Thanks again guys.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Mac Pro 2009, it's quad core intel xeon processor, 2.66, 10 gig of ram. It seem to me encoding videos real fast. But I'm learning all this myself now because I did use dv camcorder before. At this point I'm happy with Premier elements. I have final cut express 4 but I did not figure out how to import avchd videos that produced by my new camcorder.
    Quote Quote