VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After recording some footage on my gopro camera, the files suddenly stops working. The file i would like to recover is at 970mb. It is recorded in r3 mode with means 720p 60fps ntsc. I can't se the lenght of the file. If anyone can fix this issue, i will pay them 40$.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please don't cross post in several forums.

Try video repair tool and www.mp4repair.org .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That didn't work. Do you think Perl with help?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone who can help? I offer 40$ Here is a sample https://dl.dropbox.com/u/42976122/GOPR1517.MP4
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perl is a high level computer language, not an application program. So no.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Akoen View Post
    Anyone who can help? I offer 40$ Here is a sample https://dl.dropbox.com/u/42976122/GOPR1517.MP4
    That file is just full of 0s.

Nothing there to retrieve.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perl scrips and grauonline didn't work for me, i have tried.

Is it possible to make a new header, and would that help? Could a recovery service help me?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Akoen View Post
    Perl scrips and grauonline didn't work for me, i have tried.

Is it possible to make a new header, and would that help? Could a recovery service help me?
    This is the contents of the file you uploaded:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	hex_editor_blank_file.png
Views:	237
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	12943

There's no video there.

You need to go back to the camera or memory card and try extracting/retrieving the file again. Different recovery software might help. There's nothing that can be done with the file you uploaded.
    Quote Quote  
  9. There's nothing in your file except zeros. It's like providing a VHS cassette with no tape inside and asking if the video can be recovered.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hello,

What you need to do is generate a disk image from your GoPro card, and then scan it with a video recovery tool.
    The disk image will be very big (roughly same as your card capacity) and will contain all information present on your card.
    If you don't find your footage in the disk image, it's that it hasn't been recorded or has been overwritten.

Instructions to create disk image:
    http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/dd%20for%20windows

If you are on Mac, you can use Treasured's DeepMediaScan that integrates disk scanning, diagnostics and recovery:
    http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/deepmediascan

-- Benoît
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have now downloaded and extracted the "dd for windows". But when going to CMD (in adminstartor mode) i typing "dd --list" (without ") i get the message that it is a wrong command.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may have gotten the spaces wrong. Open it's user guide in a separate window and try copying and pasting the commands into the terminal window.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have now succeded in creating a image of the card. The .iso file is about 32gb like the capacity of the memory card. But what can i now do with the .iso file?
    Quote Quote  
  14. either open it with a program like winrar. Or mount it to a virrtual drive: e.g. virtual clonedrive or poweriso (first is the best as image drive, second better for more functions)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, the filetype is not .iso, but .img
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do I do with the .img file?

Now if everything went fine, you should have a .img with a size similar to the disk capacity.
    If the disk still contains footage, the footage must now be inside this file also, and we can do a diagnostic of the file and hopefully, repair it.
    The .img file can now be used to create an extract that will be uploaded to Aero Quartet. This is explained in the Windows page.
    So far I understand the files must be in the .img. And you have to send the .img to Aero Quartet to recover it.
    They will recover the files inside it. So I don't think you have to mount the .img actually

But I never used this method to recover. I always used software that recovered the files directly to your hard-drive, but I'm not sure it will work with big files. I hope it will work out well.
    Last edited by Abas-Avara; 11th Jul 2012 at 09:43.
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote