VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Samsung PVR BD-DT7800 and can transfer from a USB stick or portable hard on the samsung hard drive recorder but not the other way around. I have a 2.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core running Windows Vista. I can easily use a LAN cable that goes from the HDR to my router. While I can see using My Computer that I have a device attached... I cannot access it. The "instruction" book appears to show that it can be done by using AllShare (which I have installed)

The samsung has a HDMI out port and my PC only has USB 2 connections

I know that it may involve setting up a network and I have tried. I have even turned off the Norton Firewall that I use but am no further forward. It started out as a pet project that I wish I had not started. Any suggestions on how this may be able to be done are greatly appreciated. Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hollywood makes the PVR manufacturers only produce devices that encrypt what they record. Hollywood does NOT want you to be able to access it via a PC. No joke. This is why you cannot do what you tried.

Unless by some miracle unknown to us someone at another forum has figured out a way to decrypt the recordings, you will not be able to get them off the drive by this method. The only thing I've ever heard of working is feeding a video output signal of some kind (ie. component or composite) to a PC with a video capture card or a DVD recorder with the right video inputs, playing the video in real time on the PVR and recording it on whatever the capture device is.

With you saying that your PVR has an HDMI out port, it seems highly unlikely that even the method I suggested will work. There are a small number of video capture cards that can record UNENCRYPTED (this is critical) HDMI video, but with only an HDMI port I am guessing that this probably won't work for such cards. It would be expensive to buy such a card just to gamble on it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank jman98. i was not wanting to tfr films to my PC. Understandably hollywood encrypts films that are broadcast. With the olympics coming up ..was only guessing that BBC would not be encrypting broadcasts. Am glad i found this forum !
    Quote Quote