VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HERE is a short sample MPEG2 clip. It's from 1993 from a VHS-to-DVD conversion and I don't have the original tape. Normally for stuff from 1996 and onwards I just use the following script which I think is enough do remove all the noise and deblock (it looks good enough to me):

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("M:\New\z = Encode\Dec 13 test.d2v", CPU=6)
    DeGrainMedian(limitY=2, limitUV=3, mode=1, interlaced=true)
    However this 1993 footage has more problems that the above script does not fix. I don't know how to describe it but it's got flutter around the edge of the wrestlers. I could use MCTemporalDenoise(settings="medium") however that takes over 24 hours for a single video. I have loads of videos to do so that isn't an option for me.

Is there anything similar to MCTemporalDenoise but faster that I could use to fix this video? (Avisynth scripts only please). MCTemporalDenoise only works at 1.40 Frames per sec for me (I only have a dual core CPU).

Also can anyone describe what the problems of the video are just so I have a name for those problems!?

Does anybody have a list of improvements that MCTemporalDenoise makes with the script I used? From what I've seen it doesn't just denoise, it also sharpens and seems to make the picture quality better.
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 25th Jun 2012 at 08:46.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
    . . . this 1993 footage has more problems that the above script does not fix. I don't know how to describe it but it's got flutter around the edge of the wrestlers. I could use MCTemporalDenoise(settings="medium") however that takes over 24 hours for a single video. I have loads of videos to do so that isn't an option for me.
    Your standard script does lower the bar for interlaced VHS captures, but the clip submitted needs even more than MCTemporalDenoise. The "flutter" is lots of things, none of which your script would address: severe aliasing (to the level I've heard referred to as "sparking"), interlace/combing artifacts, and other horrors caused by poor VCR playback. But I know what you mean, this is what you have to work and there's not much choice: you can relieve those jaggies and the foggy clouds of chroma noise and macroblocks with repeated runs of fast temporal smoothers. By the time most of those disturbances are cleaned, you won't have much video left. Most of the visual data is just noise.

Is there anything similar to MCTemporalDenoise but faster that I could use to fix this video? (Avisynth scripts only please). MCTemporalDenoise only works at 1.40 Frames per sec for me (I only have a dual core CPU).
    MCtemporalDenoise won't accomplish that much unless the video is deinterlaced, filtered while progressive, and reinterlaced. AFter running QTGMC, I didn't need MCTemporalDenoise. But QTGMC ran even slower.

Does anybody have a list of improvements that MCTemporalDenoise makes with the script I used? From what I've seen it doesn't just denoise, it also sharpens and seems to make the picture quality better.
    MCTD works on several levels, depending on the "settings" parameter and other tweaks. A description of those areas and how to modify them is in the text of MCTD's script, at the top of the script.

I wouldn't know of any "fast" filters for cleaning this video. It's a mess. Cleaning it takes heavy work and time. Other members might have other ideas (like running FFT3D on it until it looks as if it's out of focus), but IMO shortcuts are scarce when it comes to fixing bad captures.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 21:32.
    Quote Quote