VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everybody, I'm new here and new to video stuff. Hope I don't make you face palm with stupid questions. Here goes...

I've got a bunch of SD (480i) video game recordings I'm trying to upscale to 720p. Had pretty good success with VirtualDub and yadif. Looks ok-ish. Found Avisynth and QTGMC and am super happy with my results. The issue I'm having is, so far, limited to one game. All the other game recordings I've run through my script have turned out great. Here's an example, watch it in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfaLpzB6Vxk&list=UUfli8YwLYh3P-KkHdTRdQSw&index=2&feature=plcp. That's COD Black Ops if anybody didn't guess and it looks pretty good to me. I try the same script with a recording of BF3, using the exact same hardware/software setup, and it looks good but stutters during playback. Here's what I'm working with:

You can see the playback is pretty smooth most of the time. During high speed motion it stutters, like when I do quick looks back and forth.

I've tried calling QTGMC several different ways and the best results I've gotten are with this script:

Code:
    AVISource("path to raw.avi")
    ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
    QTGMC(Preset="Slow", FPSDivisor=1, ShutterBlur=1, ShutterAngleSrc=0, ShutterAngleOut=720)
    Crop(30, 20, -58, -20)
    Lanczos4Resize(1280, 720)
    I would love to keep using QTGMC for my video upscaling, but if I can't figure out this stutter issue I won't be able to. The visual quality difference between yadif and QTGMC is just so dramatic.

Note: raw.avi is encoded with lagarith... so you will need that.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you talking about the flash video in the 2nd link? It has half the fps 29.97 vs. 59.94 - that's why it's not as smooth as the QTGMC processed video

Most flash sites that re-encode (Youtube also) don't support 60p, only 30p max (they throw away 1/2 the frames, and use 1/2 the fps)

The black level is off too (too high) - you should probably adjust your capture settings . Notice everything looks "washed out"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, the second link in the list. That video is 59 FPS. When I import it into VirtualDub and view the file information it reports 59.94 FPS. My intention in providing that link was for you to download it and play with it. If you download and look at both the original and the rendered videos you will see that the original (raw.avi) is at 29.97 FPS and the rendered (QTGMC001.avi) is at 59.94 FPS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The flash video is 29.97. It's a FLV, not an AVI . It was re-encoded by the google video streaming site

You can't stream AVI videos (not a streaming format)

Format : Flash Video
    File size : 7.02 MiB
    Duration : 53s 220ms
    Overall bit rate : 1 104 Kbps
    httphostheader : v1.cache6.c.docs.google.com

Video
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : 7
    Duration : 53s 253ms
    Bit rate : 969 Kbps
    Width : 854 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.079
    Stream size : 6.15 MiB (88%)

Audio
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 10
    Duration : 53s 382ms
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 837 KiB (12%)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are we talking about the same video file???

I'm talking about this one: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B48ykO3DrIFpcVZFeFA5NFJpQVU

Go there and then click "File" and then "Download" all the way at the bottom. That should get you the avi.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Probably not. I don't have a download link in firefox (I do for the 1st video)

EDIT: Ok I got it sorted out (browser issue)
    Quote Quote  
  7. That's odd. I can log out of Google Docs and navigate to that link in any of my browsers and get the download option in the Google Docs file menu.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It looks like misordered frames.

This can happen with wrong field order (there is a fwd/back/fwd/back in some frames), or even using h.264 in AVI can cause it. Could also be the motion blur from QTGMC from your settings
    Quote Quote  
  9. So maybe try top field first or bottom field first explicitly?

The video playback stutters even worse without the motion blur stuff. QTGMC(Preset="Medium") stutters pretty bad even at 59FPS.
    Quote Quote  
  10. BFF() is assumed unless you specify otherwise in avisynth. I'll have a look at the source file
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's not even interlaced content (it's 30p). So you wouldn't deinterlace it or use QTGMC

It's field shifted

Code:
    AVISource()
    AssumeTFF()
    TFM()

Either your video game is capped, or your recording device or driver has a limitation
    Quote Quote  
  12. Not interlaced? You mean raw.avi right?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by TuFFrabit View Post
    Not interlaced? You mean raw.avi right?
    Yes

It's progressive content, but field shifted

If you want to learn about interlace, progressive etc.. start with this guide
    http://neuron2.net/faq.html#analysis

If you look at the separate fields, you will notice they are duplicates every 2nd field. True interlaced means each field is a separate moment in time (no duplicates) ie. 59.94i - Thus if you bob deinterlace you get 59.94 frames per second. You don't have that
    Quote Quote  
  14. Those sneaky Chinese. I'll give you some more info on my hardware setup.

XBOX360 VGA -> VGA to composite/svideo -> composite/svideo to usb

I use AmaRecTV to record via huffyuv or lagarith. Then shove it up to twitch.tv via AmaRecTvLive.

I assumed because my recording was coming from svideo it would be 480i. How did you figure out it wasn't interlaced?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by TuFFrabit View Post
    Those sneaky Chinese. I'll give you some more info on my hardware setup.

XBOX360 VGA -> VGA to composite/svideo -> composite/svideo to usb

I use AmaRecTV to record via huffyuv or lagarith. Then shove it up to twitch.tv via AmaRecTvLive.

I assumed because my recording was coming from svideo it would be 480i. How did you figure out it wasn't interlaced?
    IRC, Some xbox games are "capped" (as in upper fps limitation) at 30p

Start with reading that guide linked above. You have to examine the separate fields

It "looks" interlaced (the combing and horizontal lines) because the upper field from the next frame is mixed with the lower field from the previous frame

It looks like this
    [z a] [a b] [b c] [c d] ...

Progressive should look like this (duplicate pairs, 2 fields make up a frame)
    [a a] [b b] [c c]

Interlaced should look like this (each field is different, representing a separate moment in time)
    [a b] [c d] [e f]
    Quote Quote  
  16. BF3 is capped at 30 FPS while Black Ops is capped at 60 FPS. That must be the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Code:
    AviSource("raw.avi")
    AssumeTFF()
    TFM()
    Quote Quote