VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    is your home theater system ready? 62 speakers and 2 subs. get out that credit card with the big limit!

http://www.cepro.com/article/dolby_atmos_622_surround_sound_coming_to_home_theater/
    Last edited by aedipuss; 22nd Jun 2012 at 18:56.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    HOLY CRAP!!!

Even before I clicked on the link I was thinking it has to be some new system for movie theaters because who the hell would have 62 speakers in their living room, basement, etc.

Then I read the article,
    While the 62.2 format will likely never make it into home theaters,
    Ya think!!!!
    LOL!!

How much more can you make something realistic ?!?!

We need Holodecks before we need 62.2 sound systems!!
    LOL!!

To date, 14 theaters are equipped with the system.
    14 out of what ?
    How many hundreds of thousands of movie theaters across the U.S. alone ?
    I can't even imagine what the ticket prices are at those theaters!!!

That will be $250.00 per ticket and $50.00 for a bucket of popcorn.
    Oh, you want butter on that ?
    That will be an extra $25.00!!
    LOL!!

I mean seriously.... how much sound direction can the human ear distinguish & hear ?
    Espc. when you start to have your hearing go bad, which everyone does to some extent as they get older, abuse their ears with loud sounds & everyday use.....

Talk about overkill!!!

Could you imagine being the sound mixers on those soundtracks ?!?!

OY VEY!!!!!
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 22nd Jun 2012 at 21:10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fortunately, Chicago has one of those 14 screens, the Showplace Icon in the South Loop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not sure 62.2 will ever make it here to the woods of new hampshire...

but, anyone else old enough to remember the first dolby surround cinemas? what a rush the front and back speaker system was on star wars IV?? the opening star destroyer flying over your head with corresponding audio...
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I remember back in the day when there was just dolby surround from stereo 2.0 only tracks and watching the Indiana Jones movies on LD.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, hearing the planes fly overhead and you could hear them flying from the front of the room to the back and it was WHOA!!!!
    KILLER!!!

Then years later listening to it again after true 5.1 came out, and the original surround sound kind of sucked!!
    LOL!!

I remember back in the day when I was a teenager they had this holographic sound they were doing, and they played a special mix of Pink Floyd over the radio and you had to set your "stereo" speakers in a certain position at specific measurements then you had to sit in a specific spot to your speakers to make kind of a "pyramid" and you could hear things to your side and behind you.

It was state of the art 35 years ago!!!
    Before even quad existed!!
    LOL!!

But after watching that vid, it does look pretty cool, but I am not going to travel to Chicago just to hear it.
    That's the closest theater to me and it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive!!

Could you even imagine how large a home receiver would have to be just to house 62 separate speaker jacks/plugs/connections on the back ?!?!?!
    Quote Quote  
  6. And don't forget to bring earplugs. Those theaters will undoubtedly have the sound cranked up so loud that it will damage the kids ears. (or mine)
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    is your home theater system ready? 62 speakers and 2 subs.
    Too bad Dolby has been hiring TROLLS instead of actual professionals.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can't even imagine what the wife would say if i started putting all those 64 speakers in the living room. hehe she bitched and moaned for months about the 7.2 system looking too "ugly" on the walls.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    she bitched and moaned for months about the 7.2 system looking too "ugly" on the walls.
    You don't look at speakers, you "listen" to them
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can't even imagine what the wife would say if i started putting all those 64 speakers in the living room. hehe she bitched and moaned for months about the 7.2 system looking too "ugly" on the walls.
    ahahahah so true
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    am i alone in seeing a bit of a flaw in the reasoning behind this technology, at least as far as the video clip explains it. it seems to me that the only way to truly get the proper effect is if a) you're sitting right smack in the middle of the array and b) if the movie is being shown POV style, so that the viewer is given the sensation of the events taking place around him.

but if you're watching a traditional movie shot in 3rd person mode (i.e. you're an outside observer in a separate frame of reference from the events being depicted), then there is a disconnect between the audio you are listening to and the video you are viewing. also, if you happen to be sitting in any seat at the extremities of the seating arrangement, such as back and to the left, front and to the right and so on, then the audio/video disconnect is further amplified.

it just seems to me that unless i'm the only one in the theater sitting right smack in the middle then it would actually degrade the experience rather than enhance it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    We need Holodecks before we need 62.2 sound systems!!
    The chances of me ever having either is pretty close to zero, I'd guess. But I'd opt for the holodeck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your wife seems normal to me. My mother and sister are the same way. A living room is a formal space for receiving guests and impressing them with your housekeeping and decorating skills. They want the living room to look pristine, and no TVs or other electronics are allowed in that room. The family room is for watching TV and everyday use.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Actually the living room is so-called becuase it is seperate from the dying room, wherein a newly deceased person was laid out for for all to see and grieve over.
    But as to 62.2 sound ? what a load of waffle ... simply made up as 50.2 sound would confuse people. A Marketing gimmick and speaker makers dream.
    Wheres the naso-o-rama ?? (smells to accompany a film) eh ?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    I remember back in the day when there was just dolby surround from stereo 2.0 only tracks and watching the Indiana Jones movies on LD.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, hearing the planes fly overhead and you could hear them flying from the front of the room to the back and it was WHOA!!!!
    KILLER!!!

Then years later listening to it again after true 5.1 came out, and the original surround sound kind of sucked!!
    LOL!!

I remember back in the day when I was a teenager they had this holographic sound they were doing, and they played a special mix of Pink Floyd over the radio and you had to set your "stereo" speakers in a certain position at specific measurements then you had to sit in a specific spot to your speakers to make kind of a "pyramid" and you could hear things to your side and behind you.

It was state of the art 35 years ago!!!
    Before even quad existed!!
    LOL!!

But after watching that vid, it does look pretty cool, but I am not going to travel to Chicago just to hear it.
    That's the closest theater to me and it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive!!

Could you even imagine how large a home receiver would have to be just to house 62 separate speaker jacks/plugs/connections on the back ?!?!?!
    Oh Yes ... Pink Floyd ... Wish You Were Here ... album ... they put out a SQ Quad Album ... I bought it at J.C. Penny ... back around 1976 ... Sigh !!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a pair of speakers to mount inside the wall ... directly behind us ... but my wife says NO ... so I settle for 5.1 in the bedroom
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    she bitched and moaned for months about the 7.2 system looking too "ugly" on the walls.
    You don't look at speakers, you "listen" to them
    My living room or family room is 7.1 ... All AR speakers ... there are some Jensen Subwoofers being used but the main sound comes from a pair of AR 26 Classic and then AR 28s ... and then the ARs [model numbers skip my mind at the moment] with silver cones ... way way back on the far back wall.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    am i alone in seeing a bit of a flaw in the reasoning behind this technology, at least as far as the video clip explains it. it seems to me that the only way to truly get the proper effect is if a) you're sitting right smack in the middle of the array and b) if the movie is being shown POV style, so that the viewer is given the sensation of the events taking place around him.

but if you're watching a traditional movie shot in 3rd person mode (i.e. you're an outside observer in a separate frame of reference from the events being depicted), then there is a disconnect between the audio you are listening to and the video you are viewing. also, if you happen to be sitting in any seat at the extremities of the seating arrangement, such as back and to the left, front and to the right and so on, then the audio/video disconnect is further amplified.

it just seems to me that unless i'm the only one in the theater sitting right smack in the middle then it would actually degrade the experience rather than enhance it.
    I thought of this too, and my logic would be that there must be some planned redundancy within those 62 speakers to cover all bases. How else can you satisfy every person in that room?

He he. In an audio dealership I'm involved with, when you talk closely with the customers (mostly male in significant percentage) you will quickly find that their biggest problem with them enjoying their hobby is not the money, space needed, tech knowledge necessary, etc. It's their wives.

Don't shoot the messenger here folks. I'm much more heavily involved in the customer relations side of things in A/V, even with designers, architects, builders, etc, and get to hear many, many things and 64 speakers sounds like a domestic WW3 to me.

I'm wondering what Dolby marketing thinks of that if home sales are in their objective through their supply channels.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote