VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was on newegg.com and noticed that the still sell dvd-rom drives. I was suprised since at least one of the drives was SATA. Why would these drives be made? The cost difference seems minimal to me. Are these intended for very cheap OEM pcs or something?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, they are indeed intended for cheap OEM PCs. I'm surprised at how many big name manufactures still produce such PCs. They use it to sucker you by telling you that the PC you are looking at has a 2nd DVD driver. Most consumers aren't smart enough to understand that DVD-ROM means "won't burn". Or the few that do understand just upgrade and pay more for a real burner. But to be fair, the vast majority of human beings on the planet have pretty weak computer skills and they truly may not care. Just trying to copy a simple data disc to another disc of the same type (and here we are assuming that the source disc has no copyright restrictions on it and you can legally copy it) is a task that just completely and utterly baffles the majority of PC owners.
    Quote Quote