VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What do you update?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I update most of my stuff,i won't update my blu-ray player firmware anymore.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I update when there is a reason to do so.

I still run older versions of Windows and apps on some machines.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All stuff. Even if there is no reason...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I update most things on my computer but I switch off all auto-updates. I know one too many guys who've had a virus trash their hard drive that way.

With Windows updates or anything like browsers or anything that streams web content ... that's just a no brainer.

Sometimes newer versions are buggy ... then, no.

I don't usually do betas.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I only update for critical issues. Most times only programs. Less often the OS. I've had Windows mess up my install badly a few times in the past, so now I wait a while before installing updates, and even then I go through the info from MS.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I update critical security flaws in Windows but I gave up updating .NET, there seems to be an update for .NET every month and it takes forever to install. My anti-virus and malware programs update automatically. I update my GPS device about twice a year but it still shows businesses that closed years ago. Some programs I don't update, the latest version isn't always the best version.
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 10th Jun 2012 at 18:31.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just update OS stuff and software related things. Not much else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OS - autoupdates
    computer programs (when necessary - like rippers but I don't rip much)
    Anti Virus - auto definition updates - new versions every other year or so - either digital download to new version or disc purchase

I also update my ps3 and xbox 360 all the time as you have to for multiplayer gaming. Though I don't do multiplayer games on the ps3 just single player but i update the ps3 for all the video plugins and any other updates they do for the dashboard - or whatever sony calls the gui - xmb or something like that.

My dvr is through comcast so I assume they force the updates whenever they need to.

My phone is not a smart phone so there is nothing to update. I suppose there is something that could be done to it but i don't use it like that so I don't bother - it works so I don't need to mess around with it.

I just bought a refurbed velocity cruz tablet on amazon and I'll get it this week. I'll update that as soon as I get it. Unfortunately it seems like it only goes up to Android 2.2 (cruz 301 model) but I got it to have the functionality of a tablet, not just to have the latest and greatest model that does everything (read - cheap ). -------- I'll be posting a thread about it in off topic when I get it this week
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote