VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does the extension of mpg on a Mac mean it is mpeg-2 or lower resolution?
    Do you know what they call the files on a Mac that are mp4 quality?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Like on Windows, MPG and MP4 are containers that can contain anything from very low quality to very high quality audio and video. The container says nothing about the quality of what's in it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will need a program that can identify the codec that was used inside the container. It will also let you know the resolution and codec that was used.

Unfortunately for you I am a windows person so I don't know of which program will do this on the mac.

For windows you could use:

gspot
    mediainfo

Also players like mpchc and vlc can tell you the details of the video itself.

One of these probably has a mac version of it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    MPG could mean MPEG-1, MPEG-2 or even MPEG-4, although the last one would be uncommon. I'm not saying this is likely, but there's nothing to stop a person from putting .mpg at the end of ANY file, even a file that actually contains no video.

As with many things, this task is harder on a Mac than on a PC. I'd suggest installing VLC on your Mac and letting it identify the video and audio by playing the file and looking under the Codec Information setting under Tools while it plays.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    As with many things, this task is harder on a Mac than on a PC.
    Not at all. Just use one of the multiple MediaInfo variants. I personally use VideoSpec, while IMediaHUD also seems to be recommended a lot, these days.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote