VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am in Australia. I want to find a PVR or set-top box which can allow me to record the digital TV programs with closed captions. Could anyone suggest one for me?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome David Tsai

Buy a topset box by the brand name strong (record to external hd or flash drive) ... vlc on pc can show the cc in playback ... project x can extract the cc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks! but would you happen to know this model" Strong PVR Ready USB Set Top Box" can record closed captions as well, since it's cheaper!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would recommend either Beyonwiz or Topfield, both record mpeg2 ts which contains audio, video and subtitles on page 801. ProjectX can demux them for you. Some of the cheaper units reprocess the signal to either mp4 or avi (to make the recorded file smaller and hence more hours on the hdd) and in the process lose the subs. So make sure which ever brand you get it in-fact records the full transmitted stream. ProjectX is the only program that will extract Australian style subtitles. You set the subtitle page in ProjectX to page 801 and select SRT as the preferred format. Unfortunately the wiki page dealing with ProjectX (see my signature) has been down for sometime and not sure when it will be restored. If you need any help with ProjectX PM me.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    strong use's ts as recorded format and cc's are included within the stream ... page code 801 I think last time I used projectx to extract them to srt.

What netmask56 said

And this is the cc extraction note for projectx

DONT make any cuts to the TS file (yet), as information at the start of the recording is required to extract the subs and align them.

1. In ProjectX, under "Pre-settings -> Subtitles", check one of the Unicode output options (e.g. UTF-8 or UTF-16) (either will work)
    2. under "teletext pages to decode", choose 801 (for Australia) (Type this in, as it's not in the drop down menu)
    3. choose your subtitle export format (SRT is reportedly the only one reliable across all channels)
    4. under that select txt.

Demux your recording into video (MPEG-2), audio (usually MP2 for SD), and subtitles (the format chosen above). If you just want the subtitles decheck everything except subtitles.

Summary:
    1. Set the subtitle format to decode: SRT and text
    2. Click on Output and select all stream types to process
    3. Close window
    4. Click on Process > Prepare
    5. Click on Action: and select demux and close window
    6. Click on File > Add and browse to the subfolder where the *.ts file is stored and select the *.ts file

You will notice that the preview window now changes to the first frame in the imported file.
    7. Click on Process > QuickStart
    Quote Quote