VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I purchased a new Asus burner and I used Nero Express V5.5.10.4. along with DVD shrink and it won't see my burner. Then I tried Nero Essentials (not for re-sale) and it doesn't see my drive. In other words I can't change my drive speed and I won't shrink or bean my any disc. Anyone have any good Ideas?
    I tried to go to the ASUS sight to see if there was an upppgrade or some think for the ASSUS but couldn't find anything. The only thing I can think of I haven't done is uninstall DVD shrink and I'll probably do it in the morning.
    Thanks everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried burn with something else? Like imgburn.
    Does it read/plays dvds?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink is a terrible choice for ripping. It hasn't been updated in years. You're lucky that it apparently has worked for you as it seems that you have yet to try to use it on a DVD that uses bad sector copy protection. It cannot rip those correctly. You should use AnyDVD or the free version of DVDFab instead. What exactly does "bean my any disc" mean?

Yes, Nero is well known for not picking up new burners. The only fix is to either reinstall Nero or upgrade it to a more recent version. You would be better off to burn with the free ImgBurn though. Nero does some things when burning DVDs that while legal according to the standard are really bad ideas and Nero is best avoided for any DVD video burning.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    new Asus burner
    Need to be more specific, model ?

Check (1) bios see's drive, if not replace data and power connector ... in the case of ide check jumper is set correctly according to other system installed drives ... jumper incorrectly set can cause problems.

Confirm windows shows drive once above is confirmed.

If so and still unable to use the drive in any form you might have a dud drive or an issue with registry.

Ms article related to upper / lower filter registry issue.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDshrink may not be the best ripper (ie decrypter) but for compressing/reencoding to to fit onto a dvd-5 it's quite good. Especially since it has a 2 pass mode, which I believe they call deep analysis (I haven't burnt video to dvd for a while). I left it on by default.

What I did was use dvdfab hd decypter, which is the free part of dvdfab, which isn't very good at shrinking but is a very good ripper. Just set the default output to DVD-9 so it just takes out the copy protection and doesn't reencode. Set output to a DVD-9 video_ts folder. Then use that as input to dvdshrink.

All that sounds slower bit it isn't. Just using dvdfab decypter to strip out the copy protection is quite fast ... it's not cpu intensive at all.

Doing the shrinking part, which is cpu intensive, from a source on your HDd is much faster than doing it from the DVD drive. Optical drives are by far the slowest thing in your computer. Plus it'll save a lot of wear and tear on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I get the feeling the OP is somehow thinking that if he opens Nero first, DVDShrink will magically appear and start working since he specifically mentioned Nero before DVDShrink?
    And.....DVDShrink doesn't "burn"....it never did. It called on Nero to burn after it had finished it's job.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Lets start with the obvious first:
    1. Does Windows Explorer see your drive?
    2. Are the cables connected properly and snugly?
    3. Nero v5.5 is outdated, I think v6 was the first to auto locate new drives.
    http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero6-update.php
    4. You can use DVDDecrypter or ImgBurn with DVDShrink.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops, I forgot to mention Imgburn, which was what I was originally intending to do.

I tried something Nero once. I was quite unimpressed ... it didn't work well and had codecs that interfered with the system. I'll never touch anything of theirs again.

In addition to what I said before, set dvdshrink to a video_ts dvd compatible output folder. Try imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Programs don't have any drivers for your drive in their list, it's too new.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Programs don't have any drivers for your drive in their list, it's too new.
    Perhaps, but ImgBurn has a sensible way to deal with this possibility, which is one of the reasons we recommend it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I am sorry! I guess I just have trouble typing sometimes. I'm 60 and on disability.
    Instead of "Bean" I meant burn.
    I am using the latest DVDFab. The trouble is like one person said, DVD Shrink does a lot better job shrinking than anything else I have found.
    Yes Windows Explorer sees my drive and all connections are tight.
    I guess I will try Imgburn.
    Thanks everyone for the help!
    Quote Quote