VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I purchased a Region B Blu-Ray since it is not available as a Region A at this time. I want to Rip/Clone the Blu-ray Disc and keep everything the exact same way, menus, audio tracks, extras, etc. and burn it back to a 50GB Blu-ray Disc but without the Region B Coding. Is this possible with any type of software for the Mac (OSX Lion) or does this have to be done on a Windows machine? (I can probably do this if absolutely necessary) Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might be able to do it with the OS X version of DVDFab HD Decrypter (the ripping part; I'm not sure about the burning part, as I haven't tried to burn a BD under OS X ).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    You might be able to do it with the OS X version of DVDFab HD Decrypter (the ripping part; I'm not sure about the burning part, as I haven't tried to burn a BD under OS X ).
    I have not had a problem burning, I have a OWC Pioneer External Blu-Ray and I use Toast as long as I get the proper folders. I'm wondering if there is a better burning tool for Blu-Ray as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use DVDFab HD Decrypter to remove all the region coding and copy restrictions. You can set it to copy to an ISO file that you can then burn using most burning software that supports burning ISO files.

Here is the link to the free Mac version: http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter-for-mac.htm

I do this all the time with my PC, I remove all the copy restrictions and copy to an ISO onto my server and use Virtual Clone Drive to mount the ISO's to play on my TV through my home theater PC. No longer have to swap out discs

Do know that if you remove the region restriction, BD-Live won't function but you won't be missing much.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab HD Decrypter for Mac specifically states that it only removes some of the BD protections. donbarzini will have to try it and see if it removes enough for his needs or not. Do note that while the movie itself is probably 1920x1080 24 fps (the standard) if there are any extras on the BD disc they may be at standard definition PAL resolutions and frame rates or in HD but at 25 fps or 50 fps and a standalone BD player sold in region A may not play those at all and his TV may not support it even if the player can handle it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Lest some US based Johnny Come Late post doubting the original poster's claim, yes, there really are movies not released on BD in region A. Sometimes even US films. My Blueberry Nights is a perfect example and I've got the region B BD of it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Lest some US based Johnny Come Late post doubting the original poster's claim, yes, there really are movies not released on BD in region A. Sometimes even US films. My Blueberry Nights is a perfect example and I've got the region B BD of it.
    well, it's true. Mulholland Drive by David Lynch has not been released in America on Blu-Ray, unfortunately. Anyway, I totally forgot about the extras probably being in PAL interlaced, I think some of them are. I was able to use DVDFab but it forced me to use Blu-Ray Copy (30 day trial) instead of HD Decrypter. I created an .ISO file and Aurora Blu-Ray Player played it just fine but VLC said it could not due to being from a different Region? I was able to extract a .MKV of just the main movie with MakeMKV, I don't think there would be quality loss at 36GB! The interesting thing is that MakeMKV would not do it directly from the Blu-Ray Disc, I get this message:

Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
    The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
    Failed to open disc

I had to do it from the .ISO that I created with Blu-Ray Copy but I did get this message before doing so:

It appears that you have on-the-fly decryption software enabled. MakeMKV should process discs with most sophisticated protections without help of any 3rd party decryption software. In addition MakeMKV works faster and more reliably when it decrypts data by itself. It is highly recommended to disable such software and restart the application.

Do you want to continue anyway (errors may follow) ?.

I may just burn the .MKV after using tsMuxer before wasting a 50GB DL Disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. My apologies. I forgot the free version doesn't rip to ISO directly. What I usually do is rip to folders, then I would use something like Nero to create an ISO out of those folders with all the protections removed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by CaptainVideo View Post
    My apologies. I forgot the free version doesn't rip to ISO directly. What I usually do is rip to folders, then I would use something like Nero to create an ISO out of those folders with all the protections removed.
    No worries, when you download the DVDFab, it looks like it gives you the whole package to try out everything. HD Decrypter is in there but it defaults to Blu-Ray Copy if you still have days on the trial left I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) VLC is NOT IN ANY WAY a reliable BluRay player. Period. If it works, great. If not, all it proves is that VLC had an issue which may have nothing to do with the media it is playing.
    2) Again, you may have issues trying to do this on a Mac that do not exist on Windows. I am hardly anything but a Windows supporter (I make my living supporting Linux) and I am not anti-Mac, but Windows is where the tools are for this kind of thing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    1) VLC is NOT IN ANY WAY a reliable BluRay player. Period. If it works, great. If not, all it proves is that VLC had an issue which may have nothing to do with the media it is playing.
    2) Again, you may have issues trying to do this on a Mac that do not exist on Windows. I am hardly anything but a Windows supporter (I make my living supporting Linux) and I am not anti-Mac, but Windows is where the tools are for this kind of thing.
    I agree with what you are saying. It's been a few years but I used to do everything DVD related on a Windows machine, I may have to get one set up again but I wanted to see if i could keep this all on the Mac. I guess the real test is burning the .ISO to a DL 50GB Disc and see if it plays in the standalone Samsung.
    Last edited by donbarzini; 24th May 2012 at 16:26.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't know if this solution will be applicable to Mac but the guys here suggest using Blu-ray playback software as alternative to the plague of Blu-ray regions. I think this could be also done by using a standalone player set to region A and PC/Mac software set to region B.
    Quote Quote