VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I hope that someone could clearly explain to me how to apply sharpening with AVIsynth. I tried searching the net for easy answers but unfortunately could not make sense of all the puzzle pieces. I understand that AVISynth is script based and that the command for sharpen is Sharpen(x, y) but what I can't seem find is how to save the output video to a new file type say m2ts. or what is the best app to open the avs script in to commence video encoding. Let me me give you a quick rundown on what I tried and the goal.

I tried to sharpen a video file (ts with a 29.97 fps) using multiAVCHD which uses AVISynth which works great for 23.976 fps encoded files but with 29.97 the result is a strobe like flickering motion when the file is played back. I'm assuming that this is a bug with multiAVCHD and so I figured I try the sharpening with AVIsynth directly but have no idea on how to proceed.

So, if anyone could please give me a step by step explanation on how to accomplish this then I would really appreciate it. Just so you know I don't have advanced knowledge of how AVIsynth works and its scripts. Also, I don't need anything too fancy just how to input the vid (m2ts, ts), sharpen and output to new m2ts. Some recommended settings and plugs for sharpening would be good too.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please do not cross post,one thread is enough,i deleted your other thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. the result is a strobe like flickering motion when the file is played back.
    sounds like the field order is mixed up, which results in the video jumping back and forth,...

I don't have advanced knowledge of how AVIsynth works and its scripts.
    You don't have even basic understanding of how Avisynth works would describe it better.
    -> http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page#What_is_AviSynth.3F =>
    AviSynth works as a frameserver, providing instant editing without the need for temporary files.
    The magic word is frameserver.
    So one needs to load a source trough a filter in Avisynth (in your case FFmpegSource2 is probably a good choice) apply all the filtering on wants to apply and later open the script with an encoder (or a decoder that feeds the Avisynth output to the encoder) to encode it to anything. Also most people don't want to use the normal sharpening function but more suited sharpening scripts like SeeSaw or Limited fast sharpen.
    If you want to use Avisynth on your own you might want to read: http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page#New_to_AviSynth_-_start_here

Cu Selur

Ps.: Yes, I didn't provide a script that does the sharpening since it sounds to me, that you problem is not related to sharpening at all and that from you current stand of knowledge regarding Avisynth, providing a sample script would only cause more confusion than help. (atm. you better stick to a gui or start reading up some stuff)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you for your reply, okay I'll already tried looking at the site you provided prior but found it hard finding info for what I need to do. I mean do any of the pages on that site even mention of FFmpegSource2? I only noticed AVIsource in the examples.

You're right by saying that my problem is not in relation to sharpening hence I wanted to avoid transcoding through multiAVCHD and use AVIsynth just to sharpen as its all I need to do with the file in question.

Okay, so I now know that AVIsynth needs to work in conjunction with some other software such as VirtualDUB or even Adobe Premiere, etc. One creates scripts for it in a text editor which can then be opened in say VirtualDUB to have AVIsynth apply the desired processing to video. AVIsynth then works in the background and sends the final result to the output of the software, again using VirtualDUB as an example. Is that about right?

I have VirtualDUB as well as the FFmpeg, Halli Splitter and AVIsynth already installed due to my using multiAVCHD. So, really if you could just provided me with a script to open in VirtualDUB and a few steps on how to apply it to my clip then I think that I should be good to go or?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom
    Quote Quote  
  5. FFMpegSource2: http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/
    + Documentation: http://ffmpegsource.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/ffms2-avisynth.html
    Installation: download ffms-2.17.7z , extract: ffmsindex.exe, ffms2.dll and FFMS2.avsi into the Avisynth plugins folder.

example script:
    Code:
    FFMpegSource2("Path to input file", threads=1)
    Shapren(0.25)
    is an example script that should do some light sharpening with the standard Sharpen filter.
    Quote Quote