VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. When using a 32 bit OS some RAM disks can use memory beyond 4 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    When using a 32 bit OS some RAM disks can use memory beyond 4 GB.
    I haven't seen mention of RAM disks in years. I wasn't even sure that Windows 7 still allowed them. Googled it and just read that some people now employ them to save a little wear and tear on their SSD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    You need to take more initiative if you want to build a PC. I suggest that you educate yourself on the basics of assembling a system from scratch, before you order anything. The instructions that come with the various parts can be a bit sketchy, and you shouldn't expect anybody here to write down complete, step-by step detailed instructions for you.
    Point taken.
    I will do some homework and post my build when I'm done before I buy to see if (read "what") I screwed up in my design.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    However, since RAM should be installed in matching pairs for most systems (to use dual channel mode), it often isn't desirable to install only 3GB.
    Good point. But I imagine as a stop gap measure if you're saving up for a special pair it wouldn't hurt.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    but a 32-bit OS can only use 4 GB.
    Not to nitpick too much but isn't that kind of like the rated capacity of dvds in that it can't quite utilize the full stated value? Isn't it something more like 3.5gb than a full 4? But the main point for the poster is it can't use more than 4 on a 32bit platform.
    True. No more than 3.2GB to 3.5GB of RAM will be used if 4GB is installed. Sometimes it is a bit less. The remainder of the 4GB is allocated by the OS for various devices on the motherboard. However, since RAM should be installed in matching pairs for most systems (to use dual channel mode), it often isn't desirable to install only 3GB.
    There isn't much economic incentive to install a mismatched pair of memory sticks in an ordinary computer. RAM prices are so low now, that there is very little saving to do, unless someone is dreaming of a 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 dual channel kit.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Im not sure if this system is at all compatible or if it will meet my needs, but after surfing around trying to get this right this is what I came up with. Way over budget, and Id love to bring it down some without sacrificing my needs.
    Again I am using this for:
    • Online streaming (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Pbskids etc)
    • HD Video viewing and storage (sometimes 1080p) (most will be stored on external HD after we watch first time)
    • Picture storage and viewing, minor editing
    • Home Video storage and viewing (no editing)
    • Web browsing (facebook, news, etc)

Case $40 Couldnt find the case on Newegg thats why I went Amazon...
    2.5 Hard drive 1 $100 Do I need separate SSD for OS?
    Processor 4 core $120 is it compatible? Do I need it?
    MB 1 $90 MB 2 $100
    RAM 8 gb $60
    Power port $53
    Power Cable $10
    Wifi Adapter $7.75
    OS $97

It is low on HD space, I know, but I really love the small footprint of this case.
    Biggest question would be heat issues I think, but I am hoping you guys can give me more insight if this will work...

Poke all the holes you can please

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by srphoto View Post
    Im not sure if this system is at all compatible or if it will meet my needs, but after surfing around trying to get this right this is what I came up with. Way over budget, and Id love to bring it down some without sacrificing my needs.
    Again I am using this for:
    • Online streaming (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Pbskids etc)
    • HD Video viewing and storage (sometimes 1080p) (most will be stored on external HD after we watch first time)
    • Picture storage and viewing, minor editing
    • Home Video storage and viewing (no editing)
    • Web browsing (facebook, news, etc)

Case $40 Couldnt find the case on Newegg thats why I went Amazon...
    2.5 Hard drive 1 $100 Do I need separate SSD for OS?
    Processor 4 core $120 is it compatible? Do I need it?
    MB 1 $90 MB 2 $100
    RAM 8 gb $60
    Power port $53
    Power Cable $10
    Wifi Adapter $7.75
    OS $97

It is low on HD space, I know, but I really love the small footprint of this case.
    Biggest question would be heat issues I think, but I am hoping you guys can give me more insight if this will work...

Poke all the holes you can please

Thanks!
    No way! That case will not work with that motherboard and CPU. Anything with a reasonable amount of computing power will fry in a tiny case with no fan. ...and that kind of case would be total lunacy for a first time build, even if you had reasonable expectations as to what you could put inside it. Plus, 80W is not nearly enough to power the system. You picked a 100W TDP CPU and a high end motherboard. If a 200W PSU is borderline for the build I proposed with a 65W TDP CPU, how do you expect a 80W PSU to work for a 100W TDP CPU?

You cannot build a tiny PC similar in size to the Zotac barebones products, but with more power. It is not possible with current tech. If it could be done, Zotac would already be doing it.

[Edit]The E350 motherboard will theoretically work with the case, but its on-board CPU the same CPU used in some of the Zotac bare-bones systems. It will not reliably play video when the CPU has to decode it. The CPU is pre-mounted, so I don't think you could replace the CPU with a different one. I'm not sure about the PSU requirements, but 80W seems like it may still be too little.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th May 2012 at 12:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You had some great suggestions I think you should pick one that is most likely to fit the needs and desires you have outlined and go with that. I don't thing the build you have proposed will do what you wish. I see you have included a wifi card I have trouble streaming 1080P video over wireless N. Not sure how it would work with netflicks as i have not bought into the hype.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    No way! That case will not work with that motherboard and CPU. Anything with a reasonable amount of computing power will fry in a tiny case with no fan. ...and that kind of case would be total lunacy for a first time build, even if you had reasonable expectations as to what you could put inside it. Plus, 80W is not nearly enough to power the system. You picked a 100W TDP CPU and a high end motherboard. If a 200W PSU is borderline for the build I proposed with a 65W TDP CPU, how do you expect a 80W PSU to work for a 100W TDP CPU?

You cannot build a tiny PC similar in size to the Zotac barebones products, but with more power. It is not possible with current tech. If it could be done, Zotac would already be doing it.
    Ouch... I had a feeling i was aiming too high but that was a big time no... Your points about the PSU and wattage make perfect sense now that you point them out...

Ok so would there be any build in that size case that would be able to do what I want it to do (seamless HD and seamless web etc)?

You also seem to think Im crazy for trying to do a first time build so small. And I take your advice seriously because I have a very minimal idea what Im doing.
    But.
    • I am crazy
    • I watched quite a few youtube clips and it seems pretty straightforward.
    • Id like the experience it will give me.
    • Theres nothing pre-built out there thats small and does what I want it too.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The teeny-tiny case you are so in love with is designed for Intel Atom CPUs and AMD E350/E450 APUs plus their motherboards. (The motherboard comes with the processor already mounted on it.) We've already determined that Intel Atom CPUs and the AMD E350/E450 APUs won't work for what you want to do with them.

This is the most powerful itty-bitty system Zotac offers http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-Dual-Core-Barebone-System-ZBOXGIGA-ID70-PLUS-U/dp/B006P15U62

It uses the 35W TDP Intel Dual-Core i3 2100T Processor (2.5 GHz) similar to the i3-2120T I mentioned early in this thread. It has 4GB of memory, plus a 320GB HDD and would meet your basic requirements otherwise. It comes with everything but the OS included.

Could you build something like it yourself? That is hard to say. It sure would not be easy. Zotac can have some parts they may want custom made. You have to use all off-the-shelf parts. I already gave you my best recommendations for a decent smallish system built from more or less standard parts. I'm done here. Good luck figuring out something on your own.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st May 2012 at 20:23. Reason: misplaced word
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are incredibly lucky. I found a kit suitable for an i3 build with a CPU up to 65W TDP at the website for another company selling the M350 case. Cable management will be difficult with such a small case, and heat build-up could still be an issue. As dragonkeeper said, wireless is problematic for 1080p video. A wired connection will work better.

Kit with Case, PSU, cables and motherboard:
    $185 http://www.mini-box.com/KIT-M350-INTEL-DH61AG-19V-160W

CPU
    $124 http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80623I32120T-Core-I3-2120T-2-60GHZ/dp/B005LMPN7M

HDD
    $75 http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-AV-25-Cache-Drive/dp/B004SB8YQ4

RAM
    $45 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139482

OS
    $100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

It looks like there is a place to mount one of these fans in the front of the case, but I'm not sure there is room for it once everything else is inside. There is a system fan header on the board you can use for it.
    http://www.mini-box.com/Top-Motor-40x4010mm-Case-Fans

You theoretically could use this i3 CPU instead. It more powerful, and has better graphics but uses more power and produces more heat than a 35W TDP CPU.
    http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80623I32105-Core-I3-2105-Processor/dp/B0051YS85O

You may need this if the stock CPU cooler is a bad fit
    $35 http://www.mini-box.com/Low-Profile-LGA1155-Intel-Core-i3-i5-i7-CPU-Cooler

This is a remote kit that will work with the CIR header on the Intel MB, but I don't know where you could mount the CIR receiver in that case. There is no window provided for it.
    http://shop.inteset.com/Products/13-4-in-1-backlit-remote-and-cir-receiver-wcable-and-...herboards.aspx

Mounting Options:
    VESA back of TV mounting screws
    $2 http://www.mini-box.com/Vesa-Mounting-System

VESA wall mount. Looks more secure but blocks some of the case's ventilation holes
    $30 http://www.mini-box.com/M350-VESA-Display-Mounts
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Jun 2012 at 18:16. Reason: Forgot VESA screws for back of TV mounting
    Quote Quote