VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI,
    I'm considering of buying either one of these M/Bs that have everything on-board (VGA, Lan & Audio), 4GB Ram & an Intel Core i3-2100 (3M Cache, 3.10 GHz) and install Linux Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS 64bit to utilize the 4GB Ram.

ASUS P8H67-M PRO B3 REV 3.0
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H67M_PRO/#specifications

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3
    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3806#sp

Intel Core i3-2100 (3M Cache, 3.10 GHz)
    http://ark.intel.com/products/53422/

I noticed that neither manufacturers have Linux Drivers for their M/B, so will all the M/B components (H67 chip-set, Lan, Audio, VGA) will be recognized by the Ubuntu installation. I'm concerned whether the on-board graphics processor of the chip-set & CPU will work in Ubuntu?
    Or whether I should get a separate PCI Express 16x VGA card (NVIDIA / ATI) that both support Linux.

Otherwise , which other equivalent M/B would be 100% compatible with Linux Ubuntu...

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the device drivers for Linux are created within the Linux community not by the device manufactures themselves. I you should be able to check the specifications for the distro yo intent to use and get a pretty good idea of what hardware is supported.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So the integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000 of the CPU will be recognized by Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS 64bit?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Intel HD definitely should work out of the box, but I don't think that's what dragonkeeper was sayiing.

You should do a general web search of what you want to run linux on. Ubuntu has good tech support and a lot of forum stuff on this sort of thing but don't assume anything.

Check for every device ... sound, wireless, you name it.

Hardware support is the weakness of linux. It's on 1% of the pc market ... down from 2% a decade ago ... and pretty fragmented too ... so generally the people who make all those devices don't bother with supporting it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by retroborg View Post
    So the integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000 of the CPU will be recognized by Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS 64bit?!
    I would definitely be surprised if it did not. I've not had a problem with on board devices when installing linux, it seems that as long as you go with main stream devices and avoided the cutting edge linux drivers seem to work rather well.

But you should read the tech support section for the disto to know what is fully supported by the distro.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote