Nowadays, I see that university libraries are rapidly eliminating the physical music CD and replacing with online streaming delivery. I was looking for a particular music cd and found that many university libraries carried the music only by online streaming delivery. As a test, I tried ABC University (fictitious name) library website to get a particular music cd. The website returned a message saying, "it is detected that you are off campus, please enter your student ID." Ok, since I am not a student, that was a dead end. I went on the campus, and tried again. (Many university campuses no longer allow non-students to use the computers, however, ABC allows non-students to use the library computer for one 2 hour session each day.) This time, I was able to get the streaming audio with no problem. I used the free software, Freecorder (able to install on the public university computer) and was able to record the stream into mp3.
My question is: with all this confusing info about IP spoofing, etc, might it be possible to receive the university audio streams, when I am off campus, without a student ID? How would I go about trying to do this?