VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As the title states I'm trying to figure out how to remove some .ass subtitles from an MKV video. I've looked high and low to try and figure this out but have had no success. The most common thing I've read is to use MKVextractGui, well i used the older one at first and it extracted the subtitles but would always give me a blank subtitle file that has the following message:
    "Error: Unrecognized command line option ''.
    Then I switched to MKVextractGui 2, the only problem this time is that when I set it to extract the subs, it will say everything worked correctly, but the file was never where I specified it to be. So I tried extracting other tracks from the video like the fonts, audio, video, etc and they all appeared, just not the subtitles themself.
    So far the only way I've gotten the subtitles to a point where I could actually edit them was by using MKVmerge, so I could remove everything but the subtitles. The only thing with this is that I have to first open up Aegisub, and choose to open the subtitles with a characterset, however when I do this the subtitles timing becomes wrong and starts directly at the start of the video.
    Anyways, all I'm trying to do is make it so I can edit these subtitles a bit, get rid of all the fancy styling and placements and convert them to .srt files, keep the timing correctly, and burn them to dvd so i don't have to deal with annoying characters poping up on the screen because that's where they were encoded to be placed somewhere.
    Anyways I appreciate any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using both the latest versions of MKVExtractGUI-2 and mkvtoolnix, both installed to the same directory?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Are you using both the latest versions of MKVExtractGUI-2 and mkvtoolnix, both installed to the same directory?
    As far as I'm aware of I am. MKVtoolnix is version 5.5.0, and ExtractGui-2 is 2.2.2.5.
    Quote Quote  
  4. try the latest version of mkvextractgui2
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by epsilonalpha View Post
    try the latest version of mkvextractgui2
    lol guess I was behind a bit, because that one worked perfectly. The subs finally came out, the timing is in order and everything. Thanks for that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. MKVCleaver Right-Click'em extract anything u want.
    Quote Quote