VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This looks like a great forum, im Justin, and ready to learn.
    I apologize if this is a very simple question, i have searched and cannot seem to locate the answer.

If i have video on my computer, that is of a given resolution, and i want to "upscale(?)" it to the highest possible, 1080i, or 720i, is there a software program that will do this for me?

The eventual goal would be to burn these home videos onto bluray with my bluray burner, so i can watch them on my televsion.

Any advice or link would be very much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is your video source?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Another question is "do you really need to"? HDTVs accept SD material and scale it up automatically. No need to re-scale, re-encode, and lose quality (through the scale & encode).

Short answer, YES there are plenty of software programs to do this for you. But they are best left to when it is necessary to achieve your goals.

Another thing to think about: In Video & Audio (as with most things), you don't get something for nothing. To get "high quality, high resolution" material, you have to either CREATE it from scratch, CAPTURE/RECORD it naturally occurring, or a HYBRID of the 2. And those all require GREAT EFFORT on your part. Simple upscaling and similar algorithms do NOT make something that was SD magically become HD.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Bare with me...im not 100% sure what the source would be...
    For example, one video on my computer has the extension .mkv

I'd like to convert that to make the quality of it as good as possible.
    -then convert it to a file type that can be burned onto a blank Bluray disc, and be watched on my Sony Bluray player onto my television.

Thank you so much for your time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Justin1980 View Post
    Bare with me...im not 100% sure what the source would be...
    For example, one video on my computer has the extension .mkv

I'd like to convert that to make the quality of it as good as possible.
    -then convert it to a file type that can be burned onto a blank Bluray disc, and be watched on my Sony Bluray player onto my television.

Thank you so much for your time.
    Your Blu-ray player will probably play the *.mkv file. If so the player will process and upscale the video to your player output setting (e.g. 720p, 1080i or 1080p). There is no need for you to upscale the file in software. In fact this will normally lower quality due to re-encode losses.

If you are talking about camcorder formats, let us know what camera you are using.

PS: My Sony Blu-ray player does an excellent SD video upscale but won't play DV format files directly.
    Last edited by edDV; 9th May 2012 at 15:34.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. ok great, thank you all so much, my camcorder uses the sony mini discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Justin1980 View Post
    ok great, thank you all so much, my camcorder uses the sony mini discs.
    If you mean Mini DVD discs, those are DVD format and should play directly in a Blu-Ray player.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Also keep in mind, if you're thinking that by simply converting them to another format/an HD-format that you'll get a quality jump, it doesn't work that way. You can make improvements to certain characteristics of your footage and make it look better, but you can't take DVD quality video and turn it into BR quality video the same way you can with a studio film. The reason you see quality jumps from VHS, to DVD, to BR with a movie from a big studio is because the original source is likely of a higher quality than all three of those, plus it has gone through extensive cleanup and the improvements I mentioned above (that you can make some of yourself). If the highest quality source you have to work with is of DVD quality though, that's where it will max out in terms of resolution (if you equate resolution with improved detail at a given pixel density) and that's where you keep it unless you can make significant improvements to the color and such to where it would outweigh the negatives of re-encoding it to another (or even the same) format.
    Quote Quote