VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using a Panasonic HDC- SD60 HD Camcorder and editing with a Dell Inspiron 1545 which has 2.00 GHz processor, 3GB RAM and 64 Bit Operating System ( Windows 7). I have tried using Windows Live Movie Maker & DVD Maker and also a trial version of Sony Vegas Studios HD Platinum to editing a create an HD DVD, but everytime I try the resultant DVD is jumpy and the picture quality is poor. Has anyone got any ideas I could try to improve things as I'm getting very frustrated!? many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what exactly do you mean by a "HD DVD", as a "dvd" can't be HD. and what are you trying to play it on, a dvd player or a blu-ray player?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by micky42g
    picture quality is poor.
    Assuming you are making a standard definition dvd there will be some quality loss. You are going from a high def source to standard def format so it will not look the same period.

And aedipuss is right you need to explain what you mean by hd dvd. There was an actual hd-dvd format that was the competitor to bluray before it died. But I don't think that is what you mean.

There is avchd which is hd video on a dvd disc. However that is only playable on bluray players, computers and the ps3.

You should be able to make an avchd which looks very good.

Its not supported anymore but multiavchd would be a tool to look into for creating avchd discs.

If you want to make a standard def dvd check out avstodvd (which is still supported by the creators - so far as I know). (but again regardless of what program you use to make a standard def dvd you will have resolution loss since you are converting to a lower resolution).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Darn it! When/why did MultiAVCHD stop getting supported? (I guess I never noticed, doh!)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by micky42g View Post
    Has anyone got any ideas I could try to improve things as I'm getting very frustrated!? many thanks!
    Have you tried another video editor?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry bit of a newb, I used the wrong terminology when I said "HD DVD", just to clarify, the files from the Panasonic are AVCHD video files, which I have tried to edit using Windows Live Movie Maker, I then saved the edited video using the recommended settings for the project, which were: 1920x1080 pixels, bit rate: 24.13Mbps. I then used Windows DVD Maker to burn to a DVD. I wanted to produce a DVD that can be played on any DVD player, although our main DVD player is a Bluray player. I have also tried the editor that came with the Panasonic camera, but when I burn it to a DVD the quality is still poor. Just one thing to add about the poor quality on the finished DVD, the picture freezes at certain points for a second. Many thanks for all your help so far!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by micky42g
    1920x1080 pixels, bit rate: 24.13Mbps.
    that is not dvd complaint.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

That has the dvd specs.

You can make a avchd disc which SHOULD play in your bluray player. AVCHD discs are hd video on a dvd disc. But only bluray players and the ps3 can play them (plus computers). (read your bluray player manual to make sure it can play avchd discs - it should but there might be some that don't)

Try avchdcoder or multiavchd to make one of those. Than you can burn with imgburn. That will preserve your hd footage.

As mentioned you will have to convert it to standard def to play on a regular dvd player if you want to do that. avstodvd is a good program to do that.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote