VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought a Toshiba D-VKR3SU DVD recorder VCR combo unit used. It came with the remote. However, the remote does not seem to work. The unit itself seems to work fine as far as playing DVDs and VHS tapes. For anyone that has this unit, is the remote necessary to be able to record DVDs? I attempted to record something to DVD from the TV. I put the DVD in, hit record and it said it was recording. When the show was over, I hit stop. Then, however, when I tried to play the DVD, it would not play. I put the DVD in my computer, and it treated it as a blank DVD. I assume that maybe there is some kind of DVD finalization process that you must do once you finish recording a DVD? I was hoping someone on here has the unit and could help me with what to do.

I searched for a free manual online but could not find one. I have found some to purchase for around $10 (which I plan to do eventually). I also have found the remote online for around $15. Before I purchase one, I was hoping to find out if I need one to record DVDs (which is the primary reason I bought this).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose their might be some exceptions, but my limited experience with family member's DVD recorders is that they are essentially useless without the remote.

Generally speaking recorded DVDs are unplayable in other devices until finalized. You will almost certainly need the remote to finalize. And you need to consider the possibility that the device is simply broken for recording DVDs. This is why I do not buy used electronics. It could be that the seller simply isn't smart enough to know how to even record DVDs and there was no deliberate attempt to cheat you but the device cannot record properly or they may have sold it knowing it was defective and figured they'd fall on the "It was working when I sold it to you" line. I cannot promise you that it will work if you buy the correct remote. If you have some experience working with other DVD recorders you may not really need the manual but you will need the remote.

Toshiba is not my favorite DVD recorder. My father has one and it's incredibly fussy and convoluted. All media does not work well in his. He gets best results using Verbatim DVD+RW. Any other disc type is problematic. If you were not using Verbatim DVD+RW you might get some of those first and see what happens when you use them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I suppose their might be some exceptions, but my limited experience with family member's DVD recorders is that they are essentially useless without the remote.

Generally speaking recorded DVDs are unplayable in other devices until finalized. You will almost certainly need the remote to finalize. And you need to consider the possibility that the device is simply broken for recording DVDs. This is why I do not buy used electronics. It could be that the seller simply isn't smart enough to know how to even record DVDs and there was no deliberate attempt to cheat you but the device cannot record properly or they may have sold it knowing it was defective and figured they'd fall on the "It was working when I sold it to you" line. I cannot promise you that it will work if you buy the correct remote. If you have some experience working with other DVD recorders you may not really need the manual but you will need the remote.

Toshiba is not my favorite DVD recorder. My father has one and it's incredibly fussy and convoluted. All media does not work well in his. He gets best results using Verbatim DVD+RW. Any other disc type is problematic. If you were not using Verbatim DVD+RW you might get some of those first and see what happens when you use them.
    Thanks for the response. I finally found a manual online that may work for this unit - http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000059762.pdf.
    I also was able to program a universal remote to control the unit. I basically did this to see that the unit could receive control from a remote (not because I expected to be able to get any meaniful use from the universal remote). If I understand the manual, to record a DVD it looks as if the remote may not be needed. It needs DVD-R (of which I have a few). Basically, you just hit record and when done, you hit stop. After hitting stop, the message "Updating the information on the disc. Please wait for a moment" should be shown.

After I put a blank DVD-R disc in, it seemed to accept it. I could see that the TV channel was being received on the DVD unit. I hit record and the unit said it was recording (and showed progression of the DVD). Then, when I hit stop, it showed the messege, "Updating the information on the disc..." However, after this, the unit treated the disc as if nothing was on it. Iput it in the DVD drive of my computer, and it showed it as being a blank DVD. Unless I have overlooked it, I did not see on the manual any type of function to do after this to make a recorded DVD-R disc playable. I am wondering if it is the brand of DVD. From what I read in the manual, apparently not all brand DVDs will work. I may try the brand you suggest.
    Last edited by genx80s; 3rd May 2012 at 14:40.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Install ImgBurn on a PC. It's free burning software. Start ImgBurn and put a DVD you think it recorded to in the PC and post a screen capture of everything that the Device tab shows after you put the disc in. I and others can tell from that if you really recorded anything to the disc or not. If you have multiple burners please be sure that you have selected the correct burner. If the Device tab stays blank then you did not do something right. Even a brand new blank disc will have useful info in this tab.

There is an option on these players to finalize discs but I don't remember it being easy to find. My father had the manual and I remember I was able to find it by using that as a guide.

My dad's Toshiba supposedly prefers DVD-R/W media, but we found that only DVD+RW worked reliably in it in reality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by fzabkar; 24th May 2012 at 05:00. Reason: extra information
    Quote Quote