VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    ok problem solved and i recommend showing this thread for any other who will ask about greek subs coz i saw many threads about it
    Quote Quote  
  2. i have the same problem. In my case i opened my subtitle file on world pad and i can read it properly. But when i play it on VLC, the weird symbols appear again. Do you know what is the problem?? i cannot find any solution
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps you could try to open it in notepad, file -> save as, choose UTF-8 in encoding and press "Save"
    Quote Quote  
  4. it didn't work... :/
    Quote Quote  
  5. my bad.. it worked.. thank you very much!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I also have this problem guys, I tried what u said for using firefox, I successful converted it, and I can run it into worldpad and read it, but keeps showing same in the BS player subtitles. any other solution please?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    found solution alone!! I just saved file in diff ways, finally saved as original in libre office, the original format it gives, and then opened in worldpad and saved as unicoded txt
    Quote Quote  
  8. It is not sufficient to have your computer set to Greek, you need to set other language options when subtitling, in your editor, as well.

I work in subtitle translations and I would recommend for any other language that is not English to be saved in the file you use for subtitled (either srt or txt) with UTF 8 pref. UNICODE encoding. Translation and readability of languages other than English require special ANSI codes, if you choose to go with ANSI encoding, and it is a bit more complicated option.

You can easily do an UTF8/UNICODE encoding by selecting the encoding when you save the file (under the file name field, there is a field for encoding). Using Notepad++ when you write your subtitled makes this apparently easier by pressing a button which gives you all the encoding options. I found it easier to use the simple save as... encoded as.. system.

Proud supporter of free TED subtitling ... blog.talkshub.net
    Quote Quote  
  9. All these methods are a waste of time.
    A very fast, few-click method is to:
    use SubtitleEdit > File> Import plain subtitle and manually select encoding> choose Greek/Cyrillic/Arabian Windows, etc.
    Then to Translation menu, Translate to language of your choice if necessary.
    Quote Quote