VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,
    I have a Philips DVP620VR combination DVD and VCR, I bought second hand on the assurance that it was fully functional. When I got it home I found that it won't play any of my DVDs (the VCR works fine). (All of the DVDs I tried work on my other stand alone DVD player.) Entering the subject line (^^^) into my search engine comes up several hits suggesting that my region code may be wrong. Problem is that my menus and setup do make any mention of the region code. I did however find several hacks for changing this code, but none for my unit. And ....... I'm not even sure if this is the problem.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    ....... john
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Anyone???
    ..... john
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you have a VCR tape trying dubbing the tape. then use a tool to check the region code of the disk it burned.

But typically you would get an error stating the disk is the wrong region. Like these following errors.

"Please eject the disc. Playback is not authorized in your region"
    or
    "Wrong Region"
    or
    "Region code error"
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The region code for DVD recorders can almost never be changed. If it was originally purchased in the US or Canada, it is set to Region 1, and it is unlikely that you can change it.

Your DVD recorder appears to be a model from 2005, but I found the manual online. If you need a manual, download here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=FR&slg=AEN&sct=DVD_PLAYERS_SU..._UserManuals&h

According to the manual, your recorder doesn't play re-writable media except DVD+RW. If you load DVD-RW or DVD-RAM discs, it won't play them. If you aren't using re-writable media, are the problem DVDs commercially produced pressed discs or are they burned discs? Are they perhaps from a county outside N. America?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I bought second hand on the assurance that it was fully functional.
    Caveat emptor, the laser or motor is probably dead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A agree with moviegeek - you were lied to.....it's broken.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet made a good point are you using commercial DVDs or are you using DVDs that you burned?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Hi All,
    No....... there's no mention of region in the error message.
    I saw several sites online that mention region code hacks that allow one to reset this feature; but my player was not among the ones cited. In fact, several people said that there is no region code hack for my machine, but this is probably all academic, since no one here seems to think that the region code is the problem. (The reason that I mention the region things is that when I searched Google with the error message I got several references to region code.)
    No....... I have not been trying to play discs that I have written. These are all movies, reputable discs that should work on any machine, and in fact DO WORK on my other standalone DVD player. So... I don't think that the discs are the problem, regardless of what the error message says. I have the manual..... thanks.
    Funny thing is..... that this is the second DVD/VCR unit that has crapped out on me with the same message. On both machines the VHS still works. Is is common for DVD players to have a short life span?
    Thanks,
    ........ john
    Last edited by Shinnen; 30th Apr 2012 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
    this is the second DVD/VCR unit that has crapped out on me with the same message. On both machines the VHS still works. Is is common for DVD players to have a short life span?
    Thanks,
    ........ john
    Combo units are notorious JUNK....no matter who makes them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
    Hi All,
    Is is common for DVD players to have a short life span?
    It varies by brand and model, My very first dvd player still works. JVC 500bk purchased around 1997 still works. But all my cheapo decks (Apex, Phillips, Magnavox, etc) died with in a year or two. And I would agree with Hech64 combo units are junk.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    OK...... well ..... it seems like the problem is solved.
    I likely have two pieces of junk.
    Thank you all for your help.
    ..... john
    Quote Quote