VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How can I transcode 7.1 DTS Master to 7.1 PCM? I know you can use eac3to on windows but I'm having trouble finding a guide for mac or even just basic 7.1 support on windows. Right now I can rip DTS-HD and TrueHD to 5.1 FLAC using Handbrake but no luck with getting more than 6ch's or 24bit! I can deal with 16 bit only but for 7.1 sources, but I want to take my 8ch PCM (.Wav/.aiff) files and run them through DTS-MAS for DTS-ES (I do it for 5.1 TrueHD and 5.1 MA it works fine). Any hope? Advice?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't there a Mac version of the DTS-HD StreamPlayer
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Transcode 7.1 DTS-Master Audio to 7.1 L-PCM
    That is NOT transcoding.... it is "converting"

And what is "L-PCM" ??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post

And what is "L-PCM" ??
    "L-PCM" is Linear PCM....you can't be seriously asking me that? And DTS-Master Audio is bit-for-bit lossless and is converted to PCM within the AV Receiver or in the decoding player...regardless of the vocab word (which I admit I changed a few times) its not that hard to answer.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcoding maybe I misread this article but lossless to lossless (and uncompressed is by its nature lossless) converting is transcoding. For example Final Cut Pro transcodes my H.264 to ProRes422, while the H.264 is lossy and the ProRes422 is lossless I am not losing any data as the source is replicated exactly in the new format but in a less "messy" format for the program.

There indeed is. DTS-HD StreamPlayer however will not accept DTS-HD streams that have already been muxed into a stream on a BluRay disc or even Mkv's....the header file is not the same...its more for the persons who master the DTS-HD file and want to decode it back to PCM. I can do it with DTS-HD files I've created my self but not ones off my BluRay rips
    Last edited by nateo200; 25th Apr 2012 at 23:48.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post
    For example Final Cut Pro transcodes my H.264 to ProRes422, while the H.264 is lossy and the ProRes422 is lossless I am not losing any data as the source is replicated exactly in the new format but in a less "messy" format for the program.
    Sorry this does not answer your question, but there is some misinformation there

ProRes422 is a lossy codec, but very minimally lossy when using HQ profile . It's called "visually lossless". You bascially have to go frame by frame to see the differences. Even ProRes4444 isn't lossless.

Generally , the most common forms of h.264 are lossy. But certain h.264 encoders are capable of truely lossless encoding profiles as well (e.g. x264) .
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post
    There indeed is. DTS-HD StreamPlayer however will not accept DTS-HD streams that have already been muxed into a stream on a BluRay disc or even Mkv's....the header file is not the same...its more for the persons who master the DTS-HD file and want to decode it back to PCM. I can do it with DTS-HD files I've created my self but not ones off my BluRay rips
    Oops, that's very true, I had completely forgotten that "irrelevant" detail...

Notwithstanding, a Doom9er named ramicio has found a convoluted workaround, which basically is, create a dummy/suitable header for the demuxed Master Audio streams... IIRC, his posts about the subject are in the eac3to thread,

( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966 )

and as a last resort, you may send him a private message ( the 5-days of "waiting room" @ Doom9 apply only to posting, not to private messaging, if I am not mistaken ).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Oops, that's very true, I had completely forgotten that "irrelevant" detail...

Notwithstanding, a Doom9er named ramicio has found a convoluted workaround, which basically is, create a dummy/suitable header for the demuxed Master Audio streams... IIRC, his posts about the subject are in the eac3to thread,

( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966 )

and as a last resort, you may send him a private message ( the 5-days of "waiting room" @ Doom9 apply only to posting, not to private messaging, if I am not mistaken ).
    Very interesting! I will certainly send a message over their! Jeez who knew get those extra 2 rear channels would be such a pain in the ass! I almost thought about converting the entire thing to 6ch PCM and then connecting my receivers rear surround outs to my MacBook Pro for direct capture via analog line in using Audacity..I'd have to figure out a way to prevent the track from drifting and get the time code in line with the rest of the channels though..is my crazy idea realistic? (FYI: My receivers rear surrounds require an amp which I obviously wouldn't use if I was going to just capture.)

I also heard about a little program called "CenterCutGui" which allows you to create a discrete rear center channel or a discrete front channel from either the side left and rights (for rear center) or the front left in rights (for front center channel).
    Last edited by nateo200; 26th Apr 2012 at 15:30.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noahtuck View Post
    transcode 7.1 dts-master audio to 7.1 l-pcm
    that is not transcoding.... It is "converting"

and what is "l-pcm" ??
    "l-pcm" is linear pcm....you can't be seriously asking me that?
    lmao!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post

And what is "L-PCM" ??
    "L-PCM" is Linear PCM....you can't be seriously asking me that?
    Rather than just come out and say "The accepted way to say this is LPCM, not L-PCM", Noahtuck apparently decided that being obscure was more helpful. I do not concur. He's busting your chops because you didn't write it correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post

And what is "L-PCM" ??
    "L-PCM" is Linear PCM....you can't be seriously asking me that?
    Rather than just come out and say "The accepted way to say this is LPCM, not L-PCM", Noahtuck apparently decided that being obscure was more helpful. I do not concur. He's busting your chops because you didn't write it correctly.
    I actually had written out an entire explanation, how i was just being a smart@$$, on top of a couple of other things, transcoding, converting, decoding, etc.

Then I thought screw it at the last moment, wiped everything out and just posted LMAO!!!

We have all seen worse from each other over the years so.....

LOL!!

But yes, you are correct.
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 26th Apr 2012 at 21:29.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't do well with forum humor (especially if its a bit dry ) unless it involves lots of emoicons, pictures, or direct to the point satire ;D i was looking at Noahtucks posts and wondering if spelled it wrong because he seams to be good in this area! For the record I usually spell it Linear PCM when I label a track on my computer
    Quote Quote